Thread: STL Software

Default STL Software

If i purchase the STL software will i be able use the probe to scan an object and import it in to the pattern editor and export it out as a STL file. Thanks Bert

2. Default

Yes you can.

Default Export to STL file

As said before, Yes you will be able to export pattern editor as a STL file.
    Here is a link to the LHR tutorials on STL
    http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb.../stltutors.php

They show lots about using the STL modual. I don't recall where, but I think you see them do an export on one of the 4 lessons. Basically, as soon as you bring in the scan (if it's clean), you export it right then. You do not wait until you lower the depth to what is allowable for the carving of a standard pattern. What you're after is to use the total depth of your scan, and then use the STL mod to slice it into carvable pieces. This then allows you to then glue the pieces together like an Oreo cookie.
    AskBudClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Export Pattern Editor to STL file.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	50043
    Last edited by AskBud; 12-29-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Picture added
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    As said before, Yes you will be able to export pattern editor as a STL file.
    Here is a link to the LHR tutorials on STL
    http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb.../stltutors.php

They show lots about using the STL modual. I don't recall where, but I think you see them do an export on one of the 4 lessons. Basically, as soon as you bring in the scan (if it's clean), you export it right then. You do not wait until you lower the depth to what is allowable for the carving of a standard pattern. What you're after is to use the total depth of your scan, and then use the STL mod to slice it into carvable pieces. This then allows you to then glue the pieces together like an Oreo cookie.
    AskBudClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Export Pattern Editor to STL file.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	50043
    I still do not understand if you can slice the model from top to bottom, rather than front to back. Example: I need to make a 3-D M1A2 Abrams Tank, seems like it would be impossible to start slicing from the barrell of the main gun.

Thanks

Hi, In the one tutorial #4 of the car they show you where the rotate the slicing plane.
    So you can slice the model where you need to
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"