Thread: Rare Earth Magnets for Door Latch

Default Rare Earth Magnets for Door Latch

I want to use 5/16" Rare Earth Magnets as catches on a project that will hold a E-book reader and/or a Kindle Fire. If I use the magnets will they mess up the electronics?

Thanks
    Dvel56

Here's a few Comments I found about the subject -- http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100417 I'm sure there's lots more out there.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Thanks Ken

I have read some internet info on the issue and found most positive info on it.
    I was hoping that one of the forum members had used magnets in the same manner with out any negative results.
    Most Electrical Engineers probably don't work much with wood ? (hee-hee)

Most of the manufactures of the covers are off brand. The ones that are sold buy the manufactures of the Kindle or E-book use strictly velcro straps so it makes me wonder about the other cheaper off brands using magnets

I used a magnet on my Ipod.... It was done after that !!!! Kaput !!!!
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

In what way did you use the magnet? as a so called latch to keep the lid closed?

Quote Originally Posted by dvel56 View Post
    Most Electrical Engineers probably don't work much with wood ? (hee-hee)
    I'm an exception that proves that rule!

Eric_WI Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I'm an exception that proves that rule!
    +1 Are you discriminating against us EE's????

No Sir not at all

I just did not expect an electrical or magnetic field question to be answered on a woodcarving forum
    and as you see by the reply's I did not. I was just hoping someone with more experience with this topic could help

Rare earth magnets can produce very strong fields - I would avoid using them around electronics. As was answered in the link, most electronics are unaffected by magnetic fields, but not all. Some components, such as relays and hall effect devices, do use magnetic fields and would be affected. So if the tablet or reader used one of these devices, yes, it could be affected. It's hard to predict exactly what component or component type is or is not being used in any given tablet or e-reader, so it is impossible to say for certain in general. Even though the operation of the electronic components may not be affected, a strong field could mechanically move something inside that would cause a problem - for example, a metal tab moves and shorts something it would otherwise not touch, or maybe switch contacts being closed by the magnet. Unlikely perhaps, but possible. I have been using rare earth magnets for my pendulum drive wood clock, which uses a small circuit board. I have been plagued by that magnet sticking to and/or attracting most anything and everything on the workbench, including the leads on electronic components. And it rally grabs them. So personally I would advise against rare earth magnets.
    Last edited by DickB; 12-31-2011 at 09:08 PM.