Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decorative Old-Fashioned Keyholder - Project of the Month JANUARY 2012

Default Decorative Old-Fashioned Keyholder - Project of the Month JANUARY 2012

Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for JANUARY 2012), the Decorative Old-Fashioned Keyholder.

This easy-to-make classic wall-mount key holder adds a touch of old fashioned charm to your home decor! The sample was finished with an interesting faux metallic technique to yield an “antique brass” appearance, but you can apply any finish you desire.

The project uses the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. The dimensions of the finished project are about 20" L x 7" W.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
    • Key.mpc

2) Board with the following dimensions:
    Key.mpc: .75" x 9" x 28"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Drill, brass hooks, sandpaper, wood glue, clamps, stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice. Here’s what I used on my Old-Fashioned Key Holder made from Select Pine:

• Two coats of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat
    (2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
    • Sanded again with very fine sandpaper & Dremel
    • Two coats full-strength Bullseye Sealcoat
    • Two coats Krylon Brilliant Gold (spray)
    • Brushed-on thinned brown acrylic paint, then wiped and dabbed off for an “antique brass” look
    • applied several spray coats Krylon Clear Gloss Acrylic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Key_holder_no_Keys_550.jpg   Key_holder_with_Keys_550.jpg   brush_off_paint.jpg   brushon_brown_paint.jpg  

dab_off_paint.jpg  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 12-28-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Nice one Michael, love the faux antique brass finish
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Love It !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In one project so many things one can learn in the finishing techniques, one can use on many other carvings also.

Great design and over job Michael.
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

4. Default

Nice Project ....as usual.

Michael, your projects and helpful knowledge are always appreciated. Everyone here is great.
    That's why I re-subscribed to the POM and bought another CW!
    Cheers
    Last edited by BBrooks; 12-28-2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: I type badly!
    Bill Brooks
    Henrico , VA
    Printer, Zymurgist, Carvehead
    Machine One - Version B, Carvetight upgrade and a Ringneck Blues Dust collector www.ringneckblues.com
    Machine Two - 5th Anniversary Version C, Rubber Belts and a Ringneck Blues Blues Dust collector

Thank you very much! I appreciate the positive feedback and have some interesting projects lined up throughout 2012 that I think you're all really going to have fun with!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Thank you very much! I appreciate the positive feedback and have some interesting projects lined up throughout 2012 that I think you're all really going to have fun with!
    Always, Always first class sir! If I might make a request for your consideration. You made a project in November that you set up so users could add to it (with an extra piece).
    Maybe that might be something to consider for future projects. Kinda like getting a 'Twofer' on a single project. Just might entice more users to sign up. Just a suggestion Amigo. Me, I've been on the POM subscription for 3 yrs and will continue for another 10! Too much good stuff to pass up. Thanks Again!

JerryB using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chebytrk; 12-28-2011 at 10:15 PM.
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Great suggestion, Jerry! Yes, when applicable I'll do my best to make allowance for some individual customization. It's always neat to see how creative folks can be with the projects. Thank you for being a long-term subscriber, too!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

i will definitely be subscribing again when my subscription ends. always great projects.

Default Not received January project

I have not received the January project. I checked my subscription, and I have four projects left.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast