Thread: Re-installing Windows

1. Default Re-installing Windows

Due to corruption of files in my operating system (Windows XP), I need to re-install it.
    If I can't avoid it, I will need to re-install many applications, of which the Project Designer is one.
    My concern is the preservation of the content and structure of my pattern catalog.
    My question: Which files/folders must I back up to facilitate the recovery?

Just a suggestion, You might be able to repair your system files in XP if you have the install disk. Take a look here: http://pcsupport.about.com/b/2009/05...e-easy-way.htm
    This has saved my system from re-install several times.

Ed
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

3. Default

Thanks, Ed; that's the first think I'll try, but just in case it blows up in my face, I'm trying to make a useful backup.

Windows is very good at fixing corrupt files. I have had drives that would not boot, put them in a second machine and restored all.

Here's what you do:

Start > Run > type in CMD > OK - this will open a command prompt looking like DOS.

Type in the following: chkdsk c: /f /r > enter (key)

The CMD will tell you it can't do it now and ask you if you want to do it on the next boot. > Y > enter (key)

Now do a reboot of your PC.

In the process of booting you will get a blue screen telling you a disk check should be performed. Just let it go until the system comes up. This may take a while. If this doesn't correct it, it means the hard drive is failing mechanically. Do a backup of important files ASAP.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

BTW - to keep files in good condition, the procedure should be run periodically even if there are no indications of problems. I do it on all of my PCs at least every 30 days.

5. Default

I'll start backing up all my important files as soon as I get some guidance regarding my Carvewright files. Stay tuned!

The file that contains your patterns is called favorite.mpn. It is located in (for xp) c:\documents and setting\(your user account)\carvewright Copy this file to an external drive or flash drive. Once everything is complete, copy it back to the same location. Be sure to also save all *.PTN and *.MPC files found on the drive. These are the files you have downloaded or created, and may not located in the favorites.mpn file.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

7. Default

I believe Eddie's reply gives me the missing pieces of information. I also have files "basic.mpn" and "surfaces.mpn" (2 copies of each with different dates and locations ???) and am going to backup all of them and decide later whether to discard the older version of each. Don't ask me how I got 2 versions of each!
    I won't get to the fix until after Christmas, but when I do (and, assuming I succeed) I will detail the steps that worked for me.
    For background, this all started a few days ago, when my router would not assign THAT PC an IP address on my ethernet network, in essence preventing access to the internet. Trying 2 different network interface cards did not correct the problem; further poking around led to the conclusion that one or more of my services (programs) were either corrupted or lost one of its dependencies. I hope that just the simple Windows XP repair will do the trick; I hate to reload ALL my applications.

Before you go thru all that trouble, can you open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all", do a screen capture of the output and attach it here? I would also be interested in seeing a snapshot of your network cards TCPIP properties from your control panels.
    Doug Fletcher

basic.mpn and surface.mpn will be installed again when you re-install designer. But from what you are saying, I see no need to go through a re-install. The connectivity issue could be an easy fix by making sure tcpip is set to obtain automatically, as well as dns, since you mentioned a router DHCP not assigning tcp/ip. If that does not fix the issue then it could be malware on your system, or even a rootkit virus. Either may change a certain file preventing connectivity. Also make sure IE, in tools, internet options, connections, lan settings, does not have proxy checked. check your PM.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

10. Default

SUCCESS!
    After trying all the suggestions offered by this group and several others, all of which came up negative, I decided to bite the bullet and prepared for a Windows XP re-install by copying all the files I created with the large number of applications running on this computer. That ate up 1 1/2 days, and I'm still not sure that I got them all.
    The problem, that did not go away, was that a major dependency, a component named "AFD", could not be found by Local Services which need it to run TCP/IP; this was my clue that the operating system (XP) was messed up and (probably) needed re-installation! BUT, before I resorted to that extreme measure, I decided that it wouldn't hurt to try a system restore. It turns out that I had created a restore point on Dec. 6, 2011 (it must have been a fluke, as I don't normally create System Restore files), so I initiated it.
    With great trepidation, I awaited the results; for a while it seemed the computer hung up (more panic), but eventually continued and finally advised me in rosy-red letters (not the bloody-red expected) of the time at which the system was restored.
    To terminate this tirade, I checked my internet access (it works) and, it appears, all the file backups were unnecessary.
    Thank you all again; your suggestions kept me going and prevented me from using the "sledgehammer" fix.