Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Z axis stall: E06-0313, board thickness

Default Z axis stall: E06-0313, board thickness

I get the error code E06-0313 after "finding surface" (all other setup/measurement maneuvers normal). The bit lowers (twice) to find the surface (as normal), then reads "finding board thickness", moves the bit past the board, lowers to the sliding plate and gives the error. Have reformatted the card and re-uploaded the project with the same results. Have not seen "finding board thickness" before (in 250+ carving hours). Advice??

Blow off the Z rails and rollers with compressed air. Wipe them down and lube them. Move the Z truck up and down full travel several times. If you don't have a binding roller (worst case) it is probably dirt (sawdust) impeding the travel. You can check the rollers by removing the dust covers and and watch to see if they all roll.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I have5 compucarve. One on spare parts. The same error on 1. Replacement z track does not give anything. After power unit replacement, cut out 2 projects and again the same error. The сnc not bad, but electronics not the suitable. I will put the step motor for max3

I replaced the encoder and its working
    the one before had burned diod .
    right now its working on a project
    will see how it'll turn out

For what it's worth I was having the same problem recently on repeat attempts of a project I'd carved before. Tried all kinds of suggested fixes before I ran across the thread with new info on the bit length needs for the new CarveTite friendly bits. I checked and found my carving bit was less than the suggested 1.5" below my Rock Chuckhaving slipped deeped into the 1/4" to 1/2" adapter I use. Corrected same and the problem disappeared.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Quote Originally Posted by a-abrown View Post
    I get the error code E06-0313 after "finding surface" (all other setup/measurement maneuvers normal). The bit lowers (twice) to find the surface (as normal), then reads "finding board thickness", moves the bit past the board, lowers to the sliding plate and gives the error. Have reformatted the card and re-uploaded the project with the same results. Have not seen "finding board thickness" before (in 250+ carving hours). Advice??
    I had this problem twice in the past The first time I had this problem was because of the length of the bit beyond the end of the rock chuck. Once I readjusted the bit it worked properly. The second time I had this problem because there was a wear spot where the bit touches by the brass wheel. Apparently at some point or over period of time the bit had wore a small indentation into that spot and when the bit went to touch that spot it went slightly below the normal level and when it went over to the sliding plate and it touched the sliding plate it registered as the bit being too long and gave you the error. What I did was fill in the indentation by the brass wheel using any epoxy filler and that solved my problem.

This is the answer I got from the Cw guys for my z stall problems.
    The Carvewright machine requires a board with a minimum of ½” thickness, therefore a project that carves less than ½” deep does not require the board to be measured.

The combination of a 0.75” board with a 0.375” jig (1.125”) poses problems for the software in determining whether the bit actually touches the aux plate or the bottom of the Z truck. Each machine behaves differently.
    You have two choices to fix this:
    1. Convince the software to skip the depth check by setting the project depth greater than it can cut. Set the “board thickness” to 1.25” or larger and it should skip the measurement. Note that this will not work for projects that “cut” or “pierce” the board.
    2. For projects that “cut”, set the “board thickness” to the depth of the wood to be carved, but make a thicker jig. I would suggest a 0.75” bottom thickness for the jig.
    I hope this helps
    Perry
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

Yes, the old Bit Length Issue.... Since LHR has Tweaked the Z Window to the CarveTite Length the FIRST thing WE must check when getting a Z Error is Bit Length with a Rock Chuck or a After Market CT Bit Holder.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Your "wear spot where the bit touches by the brass wheel" was, indeed, the problem. I filled in the hole made by previous bits with plastic wood, the machine got the correct reading and I'm again carving away. Many thanks. (I'll look for a better, more solid filler for the next carving. This "finding board thickness" must be with the latest software. Now aware, we can anticipate it.

Opening this one back up. I am trying to carve a pierced carving into a half inch piece of aspen. It goes through all the motions by at the very end it does the board thickness check and z stalls when it comes down for the final homing. There is over 1 1/2 of bit coming out if the rock chuck. This has to be a pierced carving. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast