Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project carving time test

Default Project carving time test

I have a problem in relation to checking the carving times to be able to give a price for a project.
    I have worked up 3 different projects with a "try" pattern on them and I can not get a carving time since I did not buy them.
    My question and believe Doug F brought this up before, is to be able to do a "test carving time" when you try to up load
    the project to the flash card.

Perry
    Myshop1044
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

Quote Originally Posted by myshop1044 View Post
    I have a problem in relation to checking the carving times to be able to give a price for a project.
    I have worked up 3 different projects with a "try" pattern on them and I can not get a carving time since I did not buy them.
    My question and believe Doug F brought this up before, is to be able to do a "test carving time" when you try to up load
    the project to the flash card.

Perry
    Myshop1044
    Good point, Perry. I've never thought about that aspect of it...being able to bid a job before actually owning the patterns. I can see how if you want to present a design, or even an assortment of designs for a customer to choose from, you wouldn't want to buy a bunch of patterns you may not use. Yes, I agree it would be handy to have some kind of time estimate aside from uploading to the memory card. Don't know how difficult that could be for the programmers at this point with the current flavor of Designer.

Perhaps you could make an in-house "mock up" of a design using patterns that have similar detail to get a fairly close approximation of carving time. Won't be exact and is a bit of guesswork, but it might be close enough for bidding purposes. Add on an hour's worth of time to cover yourself - I don't know about you, but things always seem to take longer than I planned anyway.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I'm not sure how the estimate works for everyone else, but for me it's generally about 10 minutes longer per hour of estimated carving?

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I'm not sure how the estimate works for everyone else, but for me it's generally about 10 minutes longer per hour of estimated carving?
    The time estimates for me are usually right on or a tad shorter.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

After some two years of carvings I'd say the time estimates I've been given are within one or two minutes of the actual time unless I'm removing a two sided project to flip to the front face.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Try rotating your project .
    OK so lets saY you want to run a 7in wide by 14in long project.
    In designer make your board size 14in wide and 7in long and rotate your design to that board .
    Your machine will make less long cuts vers. making a lot of short back and forth cuts .
    The advantage is a lot smoother cut [cutting length ways] .... way easier on the machine [less back and forth motion] ......and you will cut your cut time approx 10min per hour....hard to believe you say , well do a test , design 1 projects verticile , load on card , and 1 horizontal load on card and compare the time..
    This info was given to me by askBud
    Have a Merry Christmass
    denny

I have found that the complexity - or non-complexity - of a pattern makes little difference to a project carve time. Depth does make a difference. But I find a ballpark figure is about 1 hr. per sq ft.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I just curious but are you saying that you charge by machine hour? Most, I thought were just going on board feet.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

I had the same question as Jarot. The cost of wood and woodworking time costs you, but carving time can be used for other important stuff lime sanding other parts or watching football. It does cost some ware, but not that much.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I've found my times to be waaaaaay off sometimes. The estimate will be 39 minutes and the carve will actually take 49 or 59... but the clock on the CW when it is done will say "carve time 42 minutes" or something similar. I've learned to ignore it and just smile when LOML complains because I said "it would only take 39 minutes".... I tell her she should be happy that at least one thing in our lives lasts longer than advertised....

at least it is consistently inconsistent so I've learned to adjust my expectations.

Lawrence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast