Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Y Axis Stall - Error 303....."my story".

Default Y Axis Stall - Error 303....."my story".

I just logged 557 hours of carving time. I noticed on my last project that the shaft cable was warmer than usual to the touch and decided to do a throual cleaning so after my project finished I opened the machine and vacuumed out all the dust, blew some air through the machine to get the dust the vacuum could reach and vacuumed again.

I was soaking that shaft in moly oil as I was lubing the rest of the machine......wiped off the shaft cable real good and reinstalled it as was ready to go......right?.....wrong! I installed my next project and after the bit had made its 5th or 6th pass the machine shut down and the LCD displayed the Y Axis Error-303.....so I stop the project and restarted it and again it stopped and gave me the same error.....thrid time is the charm?.....nope!

I noted to myself that the carved region that I cutting out that I had set it up for a 1/4" feather.....because I had never used the feather option before I was thinking to myself, maybe that was the issue. So I reloaded the project on the memory card and reduced the feather to 1/8".....put the card back in the machine.....turned it back out, loaded the project.....6 passes and again the same error message. OK.....one more time and if I get the error again, I'm going in!.....lol

This time on the third pass.....my cable disconnected from the cutting head.....thank god it didn't damage the end.....after cleaning everything, I FAILED to make sure that the cable was securely connect.....reinstall the cable making sure the connection was secure and I'm up and running.....just wanted to share in case this may help someone.....I hate to announce my jughead error.....but even if you think you checked something, check it again!

2. Default

Thanks for posting this problem and solution. Don't worry about your error. That only means you can join the club with most everyone else here.

Good Job.... but.... something tells me you have not seen the last of the Y Stalls....

Have you replaced the Y Gear Box OR the 2 Bearing inside the Gearbox. IF not... They last about 400 hours.... sometimes more sometimes less... Once they wear out..... Then the metal on the Y Big Gear shaft wears away and the shaft tilts toward the center of the machine. You will hear clicks when the bit is at the bit plate.

If the shaft is worn, LHR sells just the shaft with the big gear on it..... You can buy the bearings local or on line.
    http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/5mm/kit768

MY recommendation is to replace the 2 gear box bearing every 250 Cut Motor Hours when you replace the Brushes in the Cut Motor.

It makes the Y run SO much smoother. The Y takes the most ABUSE.... Preventive Maintenance is important....

Other things that give you Y Problems....

The Return side Cog Pulley wears out over by the cut Motor.

The Underside of the Y Rails get packed sawdust on them and the flat shoulders on each side.

The lower Y Rail Bearings wear out or get sawdust inside and freeze..... Causing Y Problems...

IF the Flex Cable outer has a worn spot not letting the ball bearing hold the outer flex in the top hat. You can turn the Top hat 180 degrees to put the ball bearing in the back. If you loose the ball bearing..... A Standard BB Gun BB has been known to work...

And time to check and clean out the Y Encoder of the Dust.... Even I get dust and I have a Dust collector....

Good Luck,

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00488_WEB.jpg   DSC09644_WEB.jpg   DSC01476_WEB.jpg   DSC01478_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

AL,

Thanks for your detailed information.....I think I'm going to take your advise before I have complete failure.....after reading your comment the hair on the back of my neck stood up.....lol.....how's that old cliche go, "a ounce of prevention".

Thanks
    Paul

Paul,

When I had the Problem of the Clicking Gear Box... I had 3 old Z Gear Boxes and between 2 of my 4 machines I used 2 a bunch had replace the gear boxes. It was only later I found that there were bearings in the box... I had mistaken the dirty bearing for a Babbitt Bearing..... It was pointed out to ME..... So I have since been standing on my Soap Box trying to get everyone into the 250 Mode.... Clean, Inspect, and Replace at EVERY 250.... Cut Motor Brushes last about 289 hours... So going for 250 is a easy way to track it.... Lubricate the Jacking Screws and clean the Shafts...... It's like getting a NEW Machine....

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Al

What is the part number for the big Y axis Gear and shaft? Have new bearings installed but shaft is shoot.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Carver View Post
    Al

What is the part number for the big Y axis Gear and shaft? Have new bearings installed but shaft is shoot.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Here ias parts list
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW_parts_list_manual.pdf  
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Here is the part and price.

To get you up and running.... You can clean the shaft with sand paper and alcohol. Apply some JB Weld and let it dry. Use a Drill Press or hand drill and files and sand paper to make the shaft the proper diameter. Use it as a temp fix until the new gear shows up.

AL

MWM A2073 Y Drive Gear/Pulley Combination Assembly $6.00
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 12-17-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Default Thanks Al

Al you have a world of knowledge in using this machine thanks for sharing it helps all of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Here is the part and price.

To get you up and running.... You can clean the shaft with sand paper and alcohol. Apply some JB Weld and let it dry. Use a Drill Press or hand drill and files and sand paper to make the shaft the proper diameter. Use it as a temp fix until the new gear shows up.

AL

MWM A2073 Y Drive Gear/Pulley Combination Assembly $6.00

Your Welcome... I have been lucky.... 1 for finding the machine as it really meets my needs for Signs, Craft Stuff, and Fire Tags. and 2. my background in Electronics then all the Sony Factory Automation and Fanuc robot training.

I got off to a slow start with the machine but once the Warranty was done, I had nothing too loose....

My Self Employed Business keeps me at my Computer until past Midnight many many nights... So spending so much time here and all the posts have helped me and many others. I have had a few cases where I was WRONG.... Since most of what I picked up on the machine was due to the first 2 years of running hard making stuff and just watching the things break down... This Y problem kicked my Butt for a long time..... That is why I am trying to bring the 250 Cut Hours as a Standard shut down and clean and replace parts time.... This Preventive Maintenance that would cost less than $20.00 in parts would give you a machine in a almost NEW Condition. The Current Maintenance Program with the machine is to Run it until it Dies..... I am trying to turn the tide to Preventive Maintenance.

Lets all make one of our New Year's Resolutions to start on the 250 Maintenance Cycle....

I just ran the numbers and I am about $600.00 short of a $20K year.... Double of last year.... Without the CW... I would be out of business.... I am painting signs tonight and have some Fire Work to do... So I believe I will make the $20K....

I spent over 2 years reading Shop Bot learning..... Before I saw the CW on TV.... Now my dream is a Color Printer to print on Fire Tags and Vinyl a different way.... Directly on the substrate.... Either a Solvent or a UV LED Cure small Flat Bed Printer.... $13K to $45K..... May end up with a Used Refurbished Solvent Printer with a 13 x 14 inch bed.... Both versions I like can print in White too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAIN5TeHb_g

http://www.directcolorsystems.com/

So the Money I would have spent on Shop Bot now go to a Direct to Substrate Printer.... I already have the Laser Engraver...

A new Product line with the Color Printer and the CW is making Plastic Shapes from thin Acrylic for Quilt Making... Cutting Guides... The Customize them with the Customer Names or Groups..... Cut with the CW and a Vacuum Hold Down Jig Sled the same as I do Tags...

Good Luck,

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 12-17-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast