Thread: Cut motor runs continuously

Default Cut motor runs continuously

Even BEFORE I load a project - like right when I turn the power switch on...

The CUT MOTOR come alive.

WTF???

Jeff Brunot
    Marietta, Ga

Is this a new machine? Has it been modified in any way? Call CW Tech Support as soon as you can so they can help you troubleshoot over the phone. I've never heard of this before...almost sounds like the stock safety features have been altered somehow.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

My guess would be that it is the X termination board. The triac is not turning off. You may find the large C1 capacitor has one of its wire legs broken.

Look at Al's post: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...122#post258122

I've got a note into them... We'll see.. Thanks.

The machine is about 5 years old. I did by-pass the safety switches, but it's been running fine for years like that.

I'm going to have a look at that tonight.

I just recently bought a new one from them because I couldn't get the CUT MOTOR to start up - Now I cant get it to turn off.. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jbrunot01 View Post
    ... I did by-pass the safety switches, but it's been running fine for years like that.
    Uh-Oh! Got to be related. Can you put it back to normal and see if that will take care of the problem? I don't know how much help Tech Support can be if you have overridden the factory safety features.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Two thoughts...

Like mentioned above, likely the C1 Cap is broken or another burnt component on the X Termination Board.

Another thought is the Switch Bypass.... If a exposed copper wire from the jumper touches the metal of the machine, that could cause the motor to run... This would be a very unsafe situation... Unlikely to happen but I wanted to mention it...

And remember we are all adults here... as for bypassing the safety switch.... Know that while you are changing the bit with your fingers that you are relying on the Q1 on the X Termination Board to not fail and short out at that moment and turn on the bit... When working at the Sony Picture Tube Plant during Indoctrination part of the lesson plan we had a few of the MANY 9 and 8 Digit Club members visit and tell how they lost fingers by bypassing safety procedures... Most doing maintenance lubricating conveyor chain... Ouch... When the C1 Cap problem first happened to me the Cut Motor started just by tapping on the top of the machine and the cover closed... With the cover open the safety switch PROTECTS YOU... Opening the return path for the voltage.

Interested to see what is causing this.... And lastly... If all looks normal with the X Termination Board remove and OPEN the CW Computer... Could be packed with dust...

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02626_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Yep... You called it EXACTLY... I pulled the board last night and sure enough on of the wires on the large capacitor had broken away from its solder socket! I just bought that board 6 months ago and have requested a new one.. We'll see how the good folks at CW respond. In my past experience I've learned that they are fair people and I expect for them to send me a new one at no cost.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1282.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	245.9 KB 
ID:	81128

Quote Originally Posted by jbrunot01 View Post
    Yep... You called it EXACTLY... I pulled the board last night and sure enough on of the wires on the large capacitor had broken away from its solder socket! I just bought that board 6 months ago and have requested a new one.. We'll see how the good folks at CW respond. In my past experience I've learned that they are fair people and I expect for them to send me a new one at no cost.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1282.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	245.9 KB 
ID:	81128
    I get lucky once in a while... But Bergerud did mention it first...

What kind of chuck do you have? In the old days, the QC when worn would vibrate and cause this Cap to snap. Normally they are glued, looks like glue but can't tell.

If things don't work out in your favor with LHR then the next best thing is to have it repaired at a TV Place or a Best Buy, some place that does repairs. The Lead on the Cap is long enough that a jumper can be soldered to the board and to the cap. In previous broken C1's I have seen, the lead would be too short.

AND... This is the Casualty or Fault that CAN and WILL cause the Cut Motor to START... So anyone who bypasses the Right Side Cut Motor Safety Switch, this can happen when you are changing the bit and "Bump" the machine.... OUCH...

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 06-17-2016 at 12:54 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com