Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Illustrator

Default Adobe Illustrator

Hi - looking to see if anyone has experience with Adobe Illustrator when importing Illustrator files into the CarveWright software, or even if the file types are compatible. A search shows Photoshop is used by many, but I haven't found anyone posting on the Illustrator topic yet.

I'm very familiar with Adobe Illustrator and have used it since version 4 up to CW. As with any vector graphics program, however, once you have your design completed you need to convert it to a JPEG, PNG, BMP or take it into PhotoShop to make compatable as a raster for Designer.

Bob Hill
    Tampa Florida

Ed, I'm familiar with Illustrator also, but much more proficient at Coreldraw... there are probably more people using Coreldraw due to the lower price...

BUT.... most of those discussions about Coreldraw can be directly applied to Illustrator... while it may take a different tool or two, the overall concept will apply to either program.

I have Illustrater, but never used it. Seems daunting for an old woodworker to try and master.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Pkunk,

If you have Illustrator on your MAC (what version) actually once you get the hang of "frame" architecture and using the menus, it's not all that hard to learn. Do you have the manuals for it? Go slow and it'll take on shape in the learning process. Very handy tool to use, that's for sure. And especially if you already have the software ... what a bonus for you in the design dept.

And here and there I might be able to get you over some of the rough spots.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BobHill
    Pkunk,

If you have Illustrator on your MAC (what version) actually once you get the hang of "frame" architecture and using the menus, it's not all that hard to learn. Do you have the manuals for it? Go slow and it'll take on shape in the learning process. Very handy tool to use, that's for sure. And especially if you already have the software ... what a bonus for you in the design dept.

And here and there I might be able to get you over some of the rough spots.

Bob
    Illustrator CS v.11.0.0 for Mac. Thanks, I may have some questions but I have to do something before a question will arise.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Adobe Illustrator CS version. Great, PK. Also if you have a Barnes and Noble or Borders bookstore close by you, check into the Adobe Classroom in a Book series (Illustrator). It has some nice tutorial chapters on particularly the basics. Well worth the price and effort. You have a great software and it would be too bad not to put it to use.

Bob

Thanks everyone for your Illustrator comments. I have the Illustrator/Photoshop package for the PC, I certainly am a bit rusty since I haven't used it for almost a year, - a lot of my files and/or drawings are on it since I can import them into BobCAD. Because I am rusty with Illustrator I didn't want to try importing stuff into the CarveWright software if people have had problems, not knowing if it's me or software problems. By the end of this week I should have it reloaded into my new computer. And for the guy who (mis)thinks he's too old to learn Illustrator - if my wee old brain can do it - you can! I've had great luck moving files between Photoshop - Illustrator - BobCAD. The last time I used Corel Draw it gave me problems, but that was WAY back when Corel was having problems staying in business - I hear the product has come a million miles since then and I would go to it if it wasn't for the investment (time & $) I already have in Illustrator. Again, thanks guys.

Don't forget "Classroom in a Book" - Illustrator, Ed. That'll get you back up to speed pretty quickly. since BobCAD is a local company here I have talked to them (and have their demo and tutoring DVD), but after talking with their chief engineer, it doesn't work for the CarveWright, so they have stopped trying to sell me the whole package. It does look pretty good though for other CNC hardware.

Bob Hill
    Tampa Florida

Bob Hill - good idea; I'm sure in the last year+ books have been updated too! I have a CNC machine BobCAD made about 4 - 5 years ago and obviously their software is very compatible. BobCAD used to be an excellant buy, however, they aren't much less expensive than AutoCAD anymore. I am guessing (literally) that BobCAD compiles only G Code which is the CNC standard - which is what customers want 99% of the time - however, I think I read Carvewright's "Pro" coming out is a G Code compiler - this info is only my bad memory and a guess, so please check carefully if you want to do anything with this information, please. Bob - if you want anything else - eedavis5@aol.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast