Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie fret slot cutting question

Just so we are clear- I do not use the 1/16" cutting bit "mill" for my guitars, but the 1/16" carving bit " ballnose" gives me a nice undercut in the slot for my guitars and violin frets respectfully.

Not to say that one could not try the 1/16" mill and smaller V bits will work but i would recommend getting the Conform vector plug in from LHR.

LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 12-14-2011 at 02:09 AM.

Yes that makes sense that only the 1/16" carving bit would work and not the flat-ended cutting bit. Would you recommend something like a 0.02" depth of cut?

Off topic: I've been playing a fanned-fret electric guitar for the last 9 years and the ergonomic advantage is fantastic. I'd highly recommend them to anyone
    I'm now getting the tools and training together to build my own.

Would you recommend something like a 0.02" depth of cut?
    You will notice a relationship of the compound radius needs to be addressed, do you have Conform V software?

Oh I should have mentioned that I'm just working on a completely flat classical guitar style of fretboard right now.

I don't have Conform V and don't even know what it is. I'm guessing you're using it to deal with cutting fret slots on a radius fretboard?

yes i am radius but use flat also...

Conform vector
    plug in from LHR 50.00 bucks.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 12-13-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Ah ok it's plug-in for Designer. I should use it when I'm doing a radius fretboard right?

Again beautiful work LG - nice design & execution. It's really exciting to see your work and what this little machine can be used for.

I'm just experimenting in Designer now with adjusting the depth of cut with the 1/16th" ballnose. If the graphic representation in Designer is accurate it looks like I need a smaller depth of cut than I thought, like 0.01" or less. Does that sound reasonable to you LG?

Thanks for all your help and inspiration

Leo

bee crazy Guest

LQ, would you have a youtube of your set up carving a neck? I make dulcimers and am having ideas just reading these threads.
    Thanks
    Steve

Here is a old video I made a few years ago that shows the fender neck jig...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12