Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flex Shaft Chain Lube w/ Moly

Default Flex Shaft Chain Lube w/ Moly

I don't know if this will help anyone but I wasn't able to find a chain lube that actually has "with Moly" printed on the front of the can.....I used a Liquid Wrench once that had the Moly in the ingredient listing but it wasn't on the front of the can.....anyway, I burnt up my flex shaft.....lol

My newer shaft came and I've been running it for about 6 months and I'm ready to maintain it......again after searching O'Rileys, Peep Boys and Auto Zone, Meijer.....I've looked everywhere for it and just shocked that I couldn't find it until and by chance I stopped at the local GRAINGER.....before I retired we found everything at Grainger and I'll be damn if it wasn't right at the door when I walked in, MOLY CHAIN LUBE.....lol.....and right beside that in big ole letters was DRY LUBE.....so if anyone has a problem finding a chain lube "with Moly".....go to your local Grainger store.

someone mentioned liquid graphite too?
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Quote Originally Posted by chebytrk View Post
    someone mentioned liquid graphite too?
    Yeah, I think Chris R. uses spray graphite on the four upright posts...not positive if he uses that on the flex core - I think so. I was told the flex cores come from the factory with graphite lube already embedded in them - it's part of the manufacturing process. I use the Chain Lube w/ Moly...the one can will last me a lifetime. On one machine, the flex core has been lubed once...the other machine, only twice, in five years.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by lpj1019 View Post
    I don't know if this will help anyone but I wasn't able to find a chain lube that actually has "with Moly" printed on the front of the can.....I used a Liquid Wrench once that had the Moly in the ingredient listing but it wasn't on the front of the can.....anyway, I burnt up my flex shaft.....lol

My newer shaft came and I've been running it for about 6 months and I'm ready to maintain it......again after searching O'Rileys, Peep Boys and Auto Zone, Meijer.....I've looked everywhere for it and just shocked that I couldn't find it until and by chance I stopped at the local GRAINGER.....before I retired we found everything at Grainger and I'll be damn if it wasn't right at the door when I walked in, MOLY CHAIN LUBE.....lol.....and right beside that in big ole letters was DRY LUBE.....so if anyone has a problem finding a chain lube "with Moly".....go to your local Grainger store.
    Liquid wrench changed the label and the formula in 2009. From my experience, the new formula doesn't do the job. Did the can you got a Grainger say it was Liquid wrench or Gunk brand? if so it is just pre 2009 stock and you were lucky to get it. If not, what brand is it?

Quote Originally Posted by dltccf View Post
    Liquid wrench changed the label and the formula in 2009. From my experience, the new formula doesn't do the job. Did the can you got a Grainger say it was Liquid wrench or Gunk brand? if so it is just pre 2009 stock and you were lucky to get it. If not, what brand is it?
    dltccf.....the manufacture is "Sprayon" (Moly Chain Lube).....I coil the shaft and place it in the bottom of a old cool whip container and let it soak for a day or two and then I hang it to dry for a day wiping off any excess before reinstalling. I also purchased a can of dry lube, manufacture "Blue Works".....both carried at Grainger.

Here's the stuff, boys and girls....

http://www.jegs.com/i/Crane-Cams/271/99002-1/10002/-1

You'll never use it all, and you'll never have problems with over-heating again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noname.jpg  
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

I agree with Jerry. Crame Cams is the ticket for your flex shaft. I've been using it since it was first mentioned on the forum. I might lube once or twice a year and not because the flex shaft ever gets warm.... I do it just to clean out the covering. There seemed to be a problem finding a source there for awhile but it looks like Jerry has found that source.

It is the bomb.....

And, it's nasty - wear rubber gloves or you'll have that stuff in every fingerprint you got for a long time.

You'll use MAYBE 1/10th of an ounce per application - it'll last forever.

No more soaking, no more dripping, no more burned up bearings on the Top Hat......
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

thanks for the info.....I'll give it a try next time to see if I notice a difference......sounds like I will

That is GREAT Stuff for the flex shaft. The company that I work for purchases it in 400lb drums. When the drums are empty, they still have about 5lbs in them, so I have a never ending supply. Let me know if you need some, and can't find it anywhere.

Ed
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast