Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selling at craft fairs

Thanks Al, I will have to check that out. But I have had a request from a quilter to try selling quilt racks at the store she is connected with in Temecula. There is money there. I guess I will have to be braver and find a way to get the up-front capital to make a bunch of sellable stuff.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Default Craft show inventory

Thanks guys for the input. I am trying to get into our local farmers markets this summer. At the one here in Cedar Rapids we average 9,000 people each time it is held (bi-weekly May-October). In surveying the market, I would be one of 3 out of 215 vendors that would be selling carved wood items. I will report back when we get started and let everyone know the results.
    J.E. "Gene" Young, Sr.
    Allthingswood
    1929 Hughes Drive SW
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    CarveWright Start U Team Member

Gene,
    What is the price range of your stuff? The people at farmer's markets around here are looking to save money, not spend it.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I love doing craft and trade shows. They make a real difference in my income. It took me years to build up the courage to do one because of the high cost of booth rental and the amount of stuff I would have to bring. I finally did my first show last October. The booth ran $100 for an 8 hour show. I was terrified that I had thrown it in the trash. When I got there, there were several other vendors I knew from craft malls I rent booths at. They were complaining that it wouldn't be that good of a show because it was their first one and because an old established show was the same day. By the time the show was over I did about 2k in sales, mostly in items that were $30 or less (mainly pens). I did manage to sell a few turned bowls and a few cutting boards. I would have sold another 3k worth of goodies, but it was a last minute thing and I didn't set up to take credit cards before going. Needless to say, I set up a square reader on my phone the very next day. The same people are hosting their second show next month, I'm looking forward to it. I am hoping to clear at least 5k this time around, maybe more with people getting income tax checks back.

Good luck sounds like you did great on your first fair.

JM is spot on with the "Square" reader for your phone! I dont do trade shows yet, but I can tell you that the Square has easily doubled my income from my carvings. First its so convenient when someone can pay with thier card, who carries cash these days!? But the real value as the seller comes when your taking your order, its easy for a buyer to rack up an order with stuff they want, when they are only limited by their credit limit. Additionally, the Square is were most people will offer me tips. I hand them my phone with reader, and I let them enter the amount they want to charge, and they usually tip pretty good. I dont make any tip with any of my cash sales, probably because I am working with numbers like $40, $20, etc, where a couple $20 bills work out just fine. The Square is awesome, and very easy to use!

My 2 cents!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12