Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $20 to ship one bit?

Many times that decision is based on the ability to TRACK the order, and accountability/compensation for packages lost, stolen or damaged.

We've beat this horse several times on this forum!!!!
    Last edited by lynnfrwd; 12-01-2011 at 04:32 PM.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    You can select Regular Shipping & Handling for $12.
    You know USPS has a box that's about 6"x8"x2' for $4.99 and will what ever you can fit into it for that price. Even with handeling fee you should be able to get under the $10 mark for shipping.

So, are you saying you want a $10 - no guarantee - shipping option? If it is stolen, lost or damaged in USPS care, you will reorder and pay for it again. No claim process, no tracking number.

Well I can't complain right now about the shipping rate. UPS lost my bits and carvewright is making it right.<br>
    <br>
    When I put the package dimension in UPS using my UPS acct it was $11.15 to ship it from TX to North Carolina with insurance to cover item<br>
    So the shipping is not being over charged<br>
    <br>
    Using the same dimensions USPS is

Priority Mail® $5.35 $5.19
    Insurance (Amount of Insurance $120.00) $2.85 $2.85
    Delivery Confirmation™ $0.70 No charge
    Total $8.90 $8.04

So to me there rates are not out of line.

My shipping price was $12 from Carvewright
    Last edited by jaustin; 12-02-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    So, are you saying you want a $10 - no guarantee - shipping option? If it is stolen, lost or damaged in USPS care, you will reorder and pay for it again. No claim process, no tracking number.
    I personally think that is a great Idea. A few years ago I was a pretty steady ebay seller with my sideline paintball business. In the 3 years I was very active, out of the nearly 3000 packages I shipped via USPS Priority, I only had one package that was damaged (none lost or stolen). In addition, I order virtually everything online, so I typically get 2-3 packages dropped off everyday. I can only recall two occasions where I had to make a claim. One they did find a few weeks later in the back of a truck, so there was only one that never did show up. Of course the vendor replaced no questions asked.

As for "If it is stolen, lost or damaged in USPS care, you will reorder and pay for it again." Well, I would think you would base that off how many claims you actually get. If you ship 10000 packages with out incident, I dont think it is unreasonable for the vendor to absorb an occasional screw-up. Of course if you are seeing issues of one in a few hundred or more, then I cant blame you for not wanting to absorb those costs.
    Doug Fletcher

I ordered two bits this week.. One from Amazon ( carving bit $35 plus 2 day shipping @ $10 ) and another bit which will arrive at my local Lowes. Same carving bit but only $24 and $0 shipping.. I looked at purchasing the bit from LHR but two things turned me off.. The cost of shipping which is more than 50% the cost of the bit and the fact that they say in big lettering it could take a day or two to process the order..

I think these two things are turning people in another direction to order their bits.. It certainly turned me away, although I know that the bits are still coming from LHR, they are just arriving faster and cheaper than they would if I ordered from the source.

I use FEDEX for shipping customers cabinets that I make. Average price is over $300 and I insure them for the full value. All things are relative but I can ship a 30 lb cabinet within a few zones of my home for the same price LHR is shipping a tiny little carbide bit. That includes a required signature, full insurance and a home delivery surcharge.. Perhaps LHR should can UPS and offer FEDEX the business instead.

Wow! Lowe's does have great pricing! Shop Lowes!!!

LOL. not sure if that is sarcastic or not, Lynn If I'm not mistaken, their ( Lowe's ) orders are actually fulfilled by Carvewright which makes that price difference really bizarre.

Either way, it comes through us and if Lowe's is selling and happy .... that's good for us too! If my "forum friends" can get a good deal....go for it! They get a dealer rate, but I don't see how they make much money off of it. Of course, it is rare that I've ever gone into Lowe's and bought JUST WHAT I NEEDED!!!!

Maybe that is what they are counting on.. I will walk by all those nice tools and other accessories as I head to pick up my special order bit I also doubt that I will walk out with only the bit when it arrives!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast