Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DXF Import

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    There is no need to try ai2mpc if you already have the dxf importer. I typically just suggest that BEFORE people plunk down the $ for the dxf importer.

So you are saying once you have run it thru the dxf importer and save the mpc, when you open the mpc in designer you dont see anything you can select to apply the cutout tool to? Can you post a screenshot or two? I'm not at home right now, but if I get a chance tonight I will post a few screen shots of of me importing a dxf and applying bits/cutouts to it.
    I would still like to see your screen shots if you have the time to send them to me. BTW I created a gear and cut it but I still am having some problems with the carving ... to wit, my gear teeth didn't come like I wanted. I think that I need to somehow tell Designer to cut on the outside edge and I haven't found that yet. Again thanks for all your help!

Bobby

2. Default

I will write up a summary when I am totally successful in make a gear! Thanks for the suggestion

Doesnt look like I will have time to do it tonight. What size gear are your trying to cut? If you post your mpc we will probably be able to give you better advice. Keep in mind you always have to be aware of the geometry of the bit when making your designs. For example, and outside corner cut with the 1/8 bit will be square, but and inside corner will always be left with the radius of the bit. If they are small gears, you may want to use the 1/16 bit as long as you are using thin material (< 1/4").
    Doug Fletcher

4. Default

Hey Kenny,

Thanks for the help...the Mac registration worked great using your procedure...Hello LHR , are you listening! This man knows something! Thanks again for us Mac users!

Hello guys, Boy am I overwhelmed. I have Illustrator and downloaded AI2MPC. I placed an AI file on c: and went to my run window shown below. It starts but does not create the MPC file. Is there anyone that knows what I am doing wrong. My head hurts from fighting this thing so I am going to bed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails path.JPG  
    Experience is a doorway -- Not a final goal.

6. Default

OK Doug
    I'll get you a mpc post tomorrow and I was using a straight 1/16" bit cutting into the material .236 of an inch. It is a 60 tooth gear about 8" in diameter. I just didn't see where to adjust the geometry anywhere. I will continue to play with this tomorrow. got plenty of time ... snowing here anyway ....thanks again

it is way easier to move the ai2mpc folder to the root of your "C:" drive... then you can click start/run/cmd

cd \ai2mpc
    and then type your ai2mpc inputfile outputfile command line. That way if you get any errors, you will see them.
    Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by bjmwoodworker View Post
    OK Doug
    I'll get you a mpc post tomorrow and I was using a straight 1/16" bit cutting into the material .236 of an inch. It is a 60 tooth gear about 8" in diameter. I just didn't see where to adjust the geometry anywhere. I will continue to play with this tomorrow. got plenty of time ... snowing here anyway ....thanks again
    Great, and if you can post pictures of your attempts it will also be very useful. There are several people on here who have successfully cut gears (Jeff Birt just recently posted about his projects). I have cut a few but nothing that required very close tolerances.

Here is a link to his post:
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...highlight=gear
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 11-29-2011 at 08:59 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

Just out of curiosity, is there anything that ai2mpc does that the dxf importer does not do? I LOVE the dxf importer and use it all the time-- especially in conjunction with coreldraw and as a way to control the depth of lettering to create a "depth controlled faux centerline" (I love centerline text too though) I know that the cost is steep, but the program is awesome.

Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is there anything that ai2mpc does that the dxf importer does not do? I LOVE the dxf importer and use it all the time-- especially in conjunction with coreldraw and as a way to control the depth of lettering to create a "depth controlled faux centerline" (I love centerline text too though) I know that the cost is steep, but the program is awesome.

Lawrence
    The only thing I really know if is that it give you the ability to assign bits & depth settings at the drawing stage. So after you run it thru ai2mpc, you mpc could be totally complete and ready to upload to the card. At times this is can be huge time saver, but it really depends on the project. The only time I really use that feature is if I am doing a mock up of parts to see what layouts work the best. Once everything is defined in Illustrator, I can move the objects around all day long and never have to reassign anything after I convert the file.

The DXF import also have a few very nice features that ai2mpc doesnt... like splitting across boards for instant. I still use both...
    Doug Fletcher

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast