Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DXF Import

1. Default

Thanks Doug

My problem was that I forgot how to navigate directories from the command prompt. But I am able to get around that by placing the ai2mpc program and the file to be converted in my user folder because that is the folder that the command prompt goes to when I first open command prompt.

From there I just typed the program file name (ai2mpc), the file name of the file to be converted (roundedrectangle.ai), and then typed in the name I want to call the converted file (roundedrectangle.mpc) with the .mpc file extension added. So it looked like this:

C:\users\AlanMalmstrom>ai2mpc roundedrectange.ai roundedrectange.mpc

I hit enter and it worked.

Thanks, Alan

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    There should be a readme file included in the zip files that explains the parameters. But here is the excerpt for "how to"

HowTo----- Save or export the desired vector data into an Adobe Illustrator .AI (version 3.0 to 8.0) compatible file and convert it with ai2mpc:
    ai2mpc source_filename output_filename
    Example: ai2mpc ai_circle2.ai ai_circle2.mpc

I typically copy my .ai file to the same directory as ai2mpc just to make the command line simpler to type

Great! If you read the readme file, there are also some options for making bit selections and drilling holes by adding notes to the objects in your .ai file before you process it. I dont use them often, but when the right type of project comes up, they can be tremendous time savers over doing the same thing with the dxf importer.
    Doug Fletcher

If you are interested in building Wooden clocks, take a look at the Naked Clock project

http://store.carvewright.com/product...cat=261&page=3

Well worth the money.

If you want to get your software and any projects/patterns registered, do this:

Open a Terminal Window (the Terminal program in your Applications/Utilities Folder)

Copy (Command-C) the following line:

sudo "/Applications/CarveWright.app/Contents/MacOS/CarveWright"

Paste (Command-V) the line into the Terminal Window.

When asked, enter your password (assuming you are an Administrator, if not then this won't work).

The Designer software will run as Root. Now License the software and any patterns and projects that you have purchased, as well as your DXF importer.

Quit the program and close the terminal window.

Don't create or save any new projects or add any new patterns to your Library or the files will be owned by root and you won't be able to write to them later on. Basically, just license whatever software/projects/patterns you have purchased (you can download the License File from the User Area on the Carvewright Web site and then Import that into Designer - makes it a lot easier), and then quit the program.

You can now run the Designer software as yourself and everything will be registered.

Don't run the software as root any more than you have to (to license software only) or you can cause other problems.

Kenny

I dont own a mac, but couldnt they just chmod on the files (664 or 666 if required) and then these issues would go away? (or perhaps on the parent folder may make more sense)
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 11-29-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

but couldnt they just chmod on the files (664 or 666 if required) and then these issues would go away? (or perhaps on the parent folder may make more sense)
    Ok, I chmoded the two preference files to 664 but the Designer software still did not update the preferences or Recent Projects list, presumably because these two files are stored in the system Library folder where the Mac stores ITS files. I for one am not going to go messing around with the permissions on the Library folder (Apple even hides this folder in Lion so that if you don't know how to unhide it, you don't even know it is there).

I'll go check the Developer docs and see what they have to say about these issues.

Kenny

If you feel adventuresome, i'd at least try 666 on the two files in question. I probably would not what that as a permanent solution, but with world perms being set to r/w i cant see how it couldnt update the files. But then again... I make no claims of being a "mac" guy.
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 11-29-2011 at 04:59 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

7. Default

Thanks everyone for all of your help ... I seem to have it working now ... at least I was able to upload to a memory card and carving as I speak. Let you know if I have other questions ... and knowing me I will ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by bjmwoodworker View Post
    Thanks everyone for all of your help ... I seem to have it working now ... at least I was able to upload to a memory card and carving as I speak. Let you know if I have other questions ... and knowing me I will ha ha
    When you get a chance can you try to write up a summary of what you did to get it working? It is always useful to include the solution so if other users are experiencing the same issue, they can get the resolution right from the thread.
    Doug Fletcher

Doug,

i'd at least try 666 on the two files in question
    It doesn't matter what I set the permissions to, the enclosing folder is writable only by root, so the software cannot write to those two files. At any rate, this is something that LHR needs to fix.

My message to LHR on the matter:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...d-Designer-App

Kenny

Thanks for the update. So then I take it the Mac kernel deviates significantly from standard unix/linux builds? Typically the permissions on a file/folder take precedence over the parent folder. Anyways, thats good info to know.

edit: after posting I figured I better check my statements out as perhaps a change had been made to the kernels I use, but I setup a folder created by root with perms of 755 and then created a file within that folder and gave it perms of 664 at first (access denied as a non-priv user, and then 666 and COULD write to the file). I tested this on Ubuntu11, SUSE, Centos, Debian, and an old Solaris pizzabox I had laying around). So I guess I'm a little surprised that the Mac kernel doesnt honor the actual file privileges.
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 11-29-2011 at 06:02 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast