Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DXF Import

1. Default DXF Import

Hi all, well I'm back with another question...I am trying to make a wooden clock gear by importing a DXF file of the gear. I can import it OK but I can seem to find out how to add the gear thickness or depth to the project. Thus when I try to upload the project to memory card, I get the warning that there is nothing to carve! Where am I going wrong or better yet HELP.... So far I am not to impressed with the program DXF Import especially the cost of $199.00 for what little it does! Seems to me that it isn't much different than to do an image import! Maybe I just don't understand what it is capable of doing. Thanks in advance for any help or instructions!

By the way, I also am having the same problem using the Carvewirght program with a MAC computer as the gentleman that was shouting on another post. I can get it to work only if I am willing to re-register the basic program online each time that I want to use my IMAC which is running the latest Lion version. The registration isn't there if I close the program and then re open it. Weird! I don't have any trouble using my PC running XP Professional. I assume that the LHR people are hard at work trying to figure out what is going on. If I can be of an assistance, as a test station or something, let me know as I am now retired and have plenty of time to play. Probably should have made this section as a separate post! Thanks again for any help!

The dxf import is just importing the vectors (paths) for you. Once you have done that, you will still need to assign a bit or use the cutout tool (preferred) to actually do something with the vectors. I typically recommend that users first try ai2mpc (free program) if they have the ability to get their files in a adobe illustrator 8.0 format to see if that meets there needs. IMHO the dxf importer does have a few advantages over ai2mpc.... but I also have trouble justifying the $199 price tag at times (although I do own it).
    Doug Fletcher

3. Default

Thanks for your answer... The problem is that I don't see anywhere to choose the bit or depth or cutout tool... they are grayed out!! I will try the ai2mpc program but I really would like to use this program(DXF program) as it cost me $199.00! By the Way is there a wooden clock construction post anywhere on the forum? Also I see that there is a carver about 30 miles away but I can't seem to find out how to contact him?

Quote Originally Posted by bjmwoodworker View Post
    Thanks for your answer... The problem is that I don't see anywhere to choose the bit or depth or cutout tool... they are grayed out!! I will try the ai2mpc program but I really would like to use this program(DXF program) as it cost me $199.00! By the Way is there a wooden clock construction post anywhere on the forum? Also I see that there is a carver about 30 miles away but I can't seem to find out how to contact him?
    There is no need to try ai2mpc if you already have the dxf importer. I typically just suggest that BEFORE people plunk down the $ for the dxf importer.

So you are saying once you have run it thru the dxf importer and save the mpc, when you open the mpc in designer you dont see anything you can select to apply the cutout tool to? Can you post a screenshot or two? I'm not at home right now, but if I get a chance tonight I will post a few screen shots of of me importing a dxf and applying bits/cutouts to it.
    Doug Fletcher

The apply bit tools and cut out tools are typically grayed out unless there is a vector path selected on the project board. Once you have imported your DXF file, and are looking at your project board, you will need to select one of the vectors on the project. Then the tools will appear.
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

6. Default

I have extracted the ai2mpc zip. And I am assuming that I have to somehow run my ai8 file through the program from the command prompt. But how do I do that. Can anybody explain how to use this ai2mpc program?

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    The dxf import is just importing the vectors (paths) for you. Once you have done that, you will still need to assign a bit or use the cutout tool (preferred) to actually do something with the vectors. I typically recommend that users first try ai2mpc (free program) if they have the ability to get their files in a adobe illustrator 8.0 format to see if that meets there needs. IMHO the dxf importer does have a few advantages over ai2mpc.... but I also have trouble justifying the $199 price tag at times (although I do own it).

7. Default

Yep that seems to be what I am getting .... I will try to post some screen shots later tonite when you might be home.... I am in EST zone. Thanks for the help

There should be a readme file included in the zip files that explains the parameters. But here is the excerpt for "how to"

HowTo----- Save or export the desired vector data into an Adobe Illustrator .AI (version 3.0 to 8.0) compatible file and convert it with ai2mpc:
    ai2mpc source_filename output_filename
    Example: ai2mpc ai_circle2.ai ai_circle2.mpc

I typically copy my .ai file to the same directory as ai2mpc just to make the command line simpler to type
    Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Malmstrom View Post
    I have extracted the ai2mpc zip. And I am assuming that I have to somehow run my ai8 file through the program from the command prompt. But how do I do that. Can anybody explain how to use this ai2mpc program?

Alan
    I have posted a PDF on how to use that program a few years back, it runs in the machine data of your computer, I don't have that PDF on my computer now. You need to run that in the "command Prompt" function to enter the data. You need to use the image as a ".ai" version 8 or 3. and type in the statement "ai2mpc file_name.ai file_name.mpc" (no spaces) and then press return (on Windows), not sure about Apple. Hope this helps. Note; the MPC files get very large if you don't have closed loops in your image. I find files over 3MB"s - some times the CW designer will not load them. try to keep them less than 1MB. Hope this helps BJB
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Quote Originally Posted by bjmwoodworker View Post
    Also I see that there is a carver about 30 miles away but I can't seem to find out how to contact him?
    There is a UsersGroup coordinator 39 minutes from you in Pinckney MI (John Fowler). Contact John and help him get a group going if there is not one already. There are 79 people in your Area Code.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast