Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diagnosing the "E05-0303" Y axis stall

Understood, Al.

Could use a little additional help on this. I was watching the machine and it's getting close to the point where it experienced the Y Axis Stall. I am noticing that the z truck is vibrating up and down rapidly but barely noticeable to the eye. This seems to be causing the Y belt to become floppy.. Not sure if I'm seeing this correctly and not sure if I can video this since the lid is closed and the belt is hard to see. But, whatever is going on looks like it could cause a problem with the Y tracking..

The vibrating is happening as the cutter moves to toward the back of the machine opposite the keyboard but not present as it comes back to the keyboard side. The machine is idle now because I hit the Stop button but have not aborted the project yet. Does this sound like a potential pattern related problem or machine problem? I can post the pattern and/or mpc file if you need to see it.

Thanks!

I was getting the same error on mine and found that the tension pulley at the other end of the y belt was totally worn out. wouldn't let the bit reach the bit plate. wound up replacing the belt and the tension pulley both and that got me back on track. tensioner lasted a good 650 hrs so can't complain about replacing a 2.00 part. just something else to look at. The belt also had a small break in it which didn't help also......

The Z head going up and down quickly while going back and fourth is normally, normal... As this is the cutting of the pattern....

As for the Y belt vibrating like it might be loose... That is a possibility.... The right side of the Y Belt has a Return Pulley that is held by a spring loaded screw from the end of the machine. You must remove the right side cover to see it... It looks like the one on top of the Z Motor. Then there is a screw on top of the bracket that also holds on the orange dust cover on the Cut Motor Wires. I have in the past loosened that screw then with my finger pushed the idle pulley away from the center of the machine and then snugged it down. TO make this screw adjustment I used a 90 degree screwdriver. One time I couldn't find it quick and I just drilled a hole in the top black plastic cover over the screw. This let me use a normal screwdriver. Now I said I have done it a few times... In the Early Years.... And each time my Y went back to Normal.... At least for a while..... Now the Cord Re Enforced Belt did not Stretch like I thought... The Slack really came from the Y Gear Box and the 5 mm x 11 mm x 5 mm bearings on the big gear going bad... This let the big plastic gear tilt toward the center of the machine. The Big Gear between the belt and clear cover of the gear box started to rub on the U shaped metal frame. This would cause a Stall OR let the Big Plastic Gear and the MOTOR Shaft Skip a tooth or two resulting in a off set in the carving.... AT this time had I replaced the little bearings then the shaft would not have worn thin.... But I waited.... See picture above with the word "THIN" in black.... That is most likely what is happening.... I replaced 3 Gear Boxes like this with other Z Boxes I had. I had first thought the 2 bearings were Babbitt bearings due to the Crud on my bearings... It was a better part of a year and a half before someone posted the pictures of the 2 bearings that I looked at the gear box still on my shelf next to my Computer and saw the 2 ball bearings..... So now you know WHY I preach to replace them at 250 Cut Hours with the Cut Motor Brushes... LHR sells the big gear and I purchased some to be able rebuild the gear boxes... I am in this for the LONG Haul.... Parts is PARTS...

So the sooner you replace the small bearings the better....

OTHER things that can cause a Stall is the Big Roller Bearings.... They get dust inside them and causes them to freeze up.... It is hard to see a frozen roller bearing... ALSO packed Sawdust builds up on the LOWER Y Rail..... The Round Part and the FLAT Shoulders on each side of the round drill rod. I keep a Brass small Wire Brush to scrub the lower rails from time to time... With some mineral Spirits.

AND I have replaced 2 of the Return Pulleys..... They were worn and WOBBLE....

Good Luck,

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 11-30-2011 at 11:19 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks Al, that is a lot to absorb If I am not the type of person that wants to start opening up motors and getting into the inside guts ( and I'm not ! ) would purchasing a new motor include all the parts you would be referring to above? If I start opening things up I will end up with a pile of parts and some will not find their way back home properly.

Did you post your location... You might have someone near you with Adventure in his nature....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Al,

I think my problem was simply too little tension on the Y belt. I was running another test now and watching the Y gears closely and I noticed when the cutter moved over and touched the bit flag, the belt on the Y track jumped and became quite slack. While that test was running the belt looked loose. I shut the machine down and pushed on the belt and I was able to touch the top half of the belt to the bottom half and also twist it around. Called LHR and was told that certainly sounded loose. I was able to tighten the belt up and there was a noticeable difference in the tension.

Running that project again to see what happens this time. Hopefully that was my issue and I am back in business.
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

THREE CLICKS.... IF you hear 2 or 3 Clicks when the Y is over at the Bit Flag, that is a sign of the Y Gear Box is bad and the Motor Shaft and Big Gear are slipping slightly.

Sounds like you just had a loose belt....

Good Job,

AL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12