Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diagnosing the "E05-0303" Y axis stall

Question Diagnosing the "E05-0303" Y axis stall

I have a machine that is a little over 3 years old and last night the machine stalled and kicked out the error code in the title line. The troubleshooting guide states to look for a document about Y Axis Stalls but I haven't been able to locate the document on the CW site.

How would I go about trying to diagnose the problem on my own or would it be best to just call support and pay them the fee to open up a ticket? I have gone into the machine before to clean it out ( removed the top ) and installed the Rock chuck but haven't had any mechanical failures like this one yet.

3 year old machine and 3rd post.... What TOOK you so long.... Tons of post on this topic.... Be sure to read Tips and Tricks too....

SO your problem is a worn out Y Gear Box.... The 2 bearings for the big plastic gear are shot and they have worn the shaft so it tilts toward the center of the machine and jams...

Solution... Do you have a old Z Gear Box? That will work....

OR Buy the Replacement GEAR with Shaft from LHR and get some of the 5 mm x 11 mm x 5 mm bearings... http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/5mm/kit768 Either here or LOCAL....

Then Replace them EVERY 250 Cut Motor Hours AND replace the Cut Motor Brushes every 250 cut motor hours....

We all had to learn this....

WELCOME !!!!!

AL Who
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00488_WEB.jpg   DSC00486_WEB.jpg   DSC09644_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default Trouble shooting Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Ton80 View Post
    I have a machine that is a little over 3 years old and last night the machine stalled and kicked out the error code in the title line. The troubleshooting guide states to look for a document about Y Axis Stalls but I haven't been able to locate the document on the CW site.

How would I go about trying to diagnose the problem on my own or would it be best to just call support and pay them the fee to open up a ticket? I have gone into the machine before to clean it out ( removed the top ) and installed the Rock chuck but haven't had any mechanical failures like this one yet.
    Here is the link to the Trouble Shooting Guide:
    http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb...ting_Guide.pdf
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Al, thanks for the info! I haven't had to change any parts yet and the odometer only has 146 hours of cut motor on time but I suppose those parts could be worn out because I did mostly V-carving work with my machine and maybe that is harder on the parts... No spare parts lying around so I will have to order them. Up to know, never really visited the forum that much except to lurk around a bit from time to time and absorb some of the info

So, just to be clear, based on that error code the machine gave me the problem you describe is the problem and likely nothing else? I did read some other topics on this and it sounded like it could be a number of issues that cause Y axis stalls ( bad power lead, dust are two of the ones I remember reading ).

I wasn't in the basement when the machine stopped running but everything sounded normal. Even when it shut off and since I thought it was close to the end of the project I assumed it shut off normally until I got down and saw the pattern was only about 85% finished and there was an error code..

AskBud, thanks for the link. That however is the troubleshooting guide I read and it directed me to look for the Y axis stall document for further diagnosing... that is what I couldn't find. Upon reading it again it appears that the statement was directing me to read the page I just read, putting me into a never ending loop

And look at the Carving, did the Carving SHIFT left or right.... A Dull Bit in hard wood will do that... I replaced a Carving Bit that has been running for a few years... It could not cut the Wood fast enough and it caused the Y Belt to skip a tooth or two... It finished up the Carving but OFF SET.... Then on the way back to home it hit the keypad wall before it expected and gave a stall.... A new bit fixed that... I had new bearings in the Y so I knew it was not that...

And at the very least if you are doing a un maned Carving.... Have a Smoke Detector Above the Machine and a Radio Shack Wireless Intercom to listen for trouble.... My Smoke Detector was the first hint my Flex Shaft was burning up..... I was cutting 2 inch deep slots in 4 x 4 posts the other day with my Plunge Router and a long 1/2 inch bit for mounting 1x6 signs. The bit hit a knot and out of the chips came 3 burning embers.... 2 on the sawdust covered work bench and one on the deck at my feet...... I quickly shut down and lucky on my outside deck was 3 tops from spray cans full of water..... I put out each ember.... This leads me to RE THINK Sawdust Dust Collection on the Plunge Router.... What IF I had a Dust Shoe on the router and it went in the BAG...... I am RE Thinking my Whole Dust Collector Ideas..... Could be Outside AWAY from the Shop.....

OK... Back to painting signs.... I painted from 7 PM last night until 3 AM... White Letters.... 13 signs... second coat on the first side.....

Turning off the Computer... Less Distractions..... More Sirius MUSIC.....

I will check in when I finish later....

AL

Good Luck,

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 11-27-2011 at 05:30 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Al, the carving did shift slightly to the right just prior to the machine shutting off the cut motor and giving me the error code. The bit is brand new ( one of the ones RJ sells ) so it I don't think it was responsible.. I suppose that would just leave the original diagnosis of the bearings.

That painting can be tedious work! Take a break every once and a while and don't worry about responding back on this.. get some rest ! Music is good and helps get in the zone!

Oh, and I do have a smoke detector in the area. Scary to think what could have happened if those embers went into a collection bag.

Default X or Y Axis stalls

Quote Originally Posted by Ton80 View Post
    Al, thanks for the info! ..........

AskBud, thanks for the link. That however is the troubleshooting guide I read and it directed me to look for the Y axis stall document for further diagnosing... that is what I couldn't find. Upon reading it again it appears that the statement was directing me to read the page I just read, putting me into a never ending loop
    I just spoke with Alex, at LHR. The trouble shooting Guide give the initial steps to resolve these stalls on page 51. However, in both cases, the last step is to refer to special documents that, at present, are only available the LHR personnel. It is not stated to call LHR for for further assistance, but that is what is needed.
    Sorry!
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Thanks Bud! Gonna call them right now and ask for the document.

OK, called and got Alex last night. We started up a carve and everything was running fine so he mentioned it could have been a power fluctuation or dust in the belt track. I am running the project again now and so far it's running just fine. I suspect it was probably the power fluctuation although I didn't notice any flickering of the lights at all and don't recall the machine making any sounds that would have indicated something ( quick change in the RPM of the cut motor )

I opened the machine lid and gave it a good vacuuming and there was some debris in the Y belt track but not enough to have caused an issue. I've been running a dust collector with the machine for the last couple of months so it's generally staying pretty clean in there. My carve time is only around 150 hours so I don't think it's an issue with worn gears or bearings but I will be checking those once the holiday season is over. As long as the machine is running I need to finish up a few projects that are on a schedule to be delivered by Christmas.

Thanks for all the help !

I gave the machine a good Vacuuming out... The Last Words of many who post that the Display is BLANK and the Machine is Un Responsive... CAUTION.... A Vacuum Cleaner Hose if not properly grounded can KILL the MACHINE.... The Static Electricity built up as the chips flow through the plastic hose cause Static that CAN and WILL Kill your machine.... Many Posts on this in the past....

As the Robot in "Lost in Space" would say at a time like this... "DANGER young Will Robbinson".... Danger..... As he sags killed by Static Electricity.

AL Who

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast