Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Twisted Square Column

I have put some thought into just how to have the dowel axis along the x. It would have to be turned by the y motor. That is, the dowel would have to roll left and right following the carriage against rails above the dowel (not on the sandpaper belts). These rails would have to be at the ends of the dowel which may be far outside the machine. Seems to me to be very difficult, and, it would be very hard on the y motor.

I think that four (or more) sided carves may be the way to go with table legs.

I have one CW machine that is HIGHLY modified, that will carve any "reasonable length" round stock from 1.25" up to 5" in diameter. By reasonable length, I mean something under 8 foot. (due to my small shop) It, however is limited to carving only 14.5 inches of the stock at a time, then the carve has to be restarted. It is capable of carving oval pieces too. And, even with all of the modifications I have made to it, it will still carve flat boards like it did when it was new. I could not recomend that anyone do those mods to a machine because all of the safety features are missing, and the machine now has no covers or shields. But, It can be done with a CW machine..

Ed
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234