Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twisted Square Column

Can I carve something like this? I think this is what cestout was talking about. Boggles my mind if you want to carve the backs of the ropes through the gaps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rope strands.jpg  

That is exactly what I was talking about, but shallow passes and the correct wood are important. When I did it with my router/crafter I tried it twice with poplar (short grain) and it exploded both times, then I used doug fir and it worked great. Maybe by the time I can afford this contraption, the new ideas will have been incorporated.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Go to this link http://www.legacycncwoodworking.com/...?currentPage=3 and watch Part-1 and Part-2 to see the concept.

We may be thinking of apples vs. oranges but with a little imagination a CW rotary jig can do this and have hollow center parts.

edit: I just saw your post above. You don't have to carve the back side to get the hollow. You could use a 2 flute straight cutter and try to go to a depth that is equal to the radius of the part but that would limit the size of the part because of the plunge limitations of the CW. Using hollow stock like shown in the videos emilinates this. The only limitation now is the thickness of the carve to the hollow point which would be the max plunge depth (.80.
    Last edited by SteveEJ; 01-19-2012 at 06:53 PM.
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

I watched the videos. There is no problem to do that. The cutting only went as deep as the center hole. As long as the difference in radius of the dowel and the hole was less that 0.8" for carving or 1" for cutting, I do not see a problem.

The interesting problem (sorry - geek here) is to carve through the gaps to carve the back of the other side. To end up with spirals that have a circular cross sections. Of course this will severely limit the size of the thing but, I think it can be done.

That Legacy machine looks pretty cool. (A real 4 axis not just x traded for theta like the rotary jig.). I cannot say that interface looked very user friendly!

5. Default

I think he means something like these pics. They were common projects using the sears router crafter. I have one that I still have never used. I do want to use it one day.

http://lumberjocks.com/gdpifer/blog/22918

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spiral-woodwork.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	50557Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1192.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	50558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lkjbtae.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	50559

The Legacy can do those too. I used the hollow method as an example because of the CW Depth of cut limitations. I do remember the Craftsman. I really wanted one of those but couldn't afford one.

The software for the Legacy is Mach3 and you control it with GCode. The CW software is MUCH EASIER!
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

I bought a Sears router crafter off ebay recently haven't had a chance to use it yet. Also wanted the rotary jig for my cw
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Somebody needs to think of turning the dowel the other direction to make 3' long table legs. Make a 4" square box x 3' long ,add the same kind of motors that are used now in the CW at the end of the box to turn the dowel. Hook the motor to the same port as the probe , so it turns the dowel while cutting it.
    Give you engineer guys something to think about.
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

I was thinking the same....

Maybee Carvewright will introduce a dedicated 3 axis router lathe they are hard to find.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast