Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twisted Square Column

Steve, I think your post is still there. If it's the one in the thread titled "Two Torus" with the suggestions.. Yeah, we all get excited and loose traction at times...

Ed
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Pain meds and muscle relaxers.. Go figure!
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Thanks, Ed. That means a lot to me. One, because you are the true inventor of the concept and two, because I was worried that you may have been offended by my using the concept. I will never make and sell them and, of course, mine will never be the simple elegant solution that yours is. If, in the future, you wanted to build and sell more complicated jigs, I think it would be a good thing. I would be happy to give you everything I come up with. I think your operation of making and selling jigs is a great thing for both Carvewright owners and LHR. I hope it will continue.

bergerud,I do really like the Rotary you have come up with. It's a shame that shipping is so high to Canada, I have a Big Box (probably 40) of 8 inch long 2" maple and birch dowels that don't fit anything that I have, but my wood lathe. And, one can only make so many wooden bullets before it gets boring. These pieces are a by product of the 36" dowels I cut into 14" lengths. With your Rotary that wouldn't be a problem.
    Anyway, the Rotary you have would have many more uses than mine. It's a pleasure to see improvments in something that I had a part in.
    Thanks for the compliments..

Ed Baker
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Big Ups to Both ED and DAN !!!! In any case, Great job by both of U guyzzzz !!! Reminds me of an old Sears spiral crafter... Except that these are automatic and U don't have to stand there turning a crank and adjusting ur router...
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Kevin has emailed me asking how the jig measures the dowel. In case anyone else was wondering I thought I would post the response I gave him.

The jig has two positions, it slides back 1.5 inches to put the dowel under the board sensor. First the machine measures the width just like it was a board. Note the black marks to make the sides invisible to the board sensor. After the width is measured, the x starts rolling to look for the end of the board. There is a slot in the driver rail that a bearing attached to the roller lifter rolls in. The slot drops near the end of the driver rail so that the roller lift drops the left side of back roller and the machine thinks the board edge has passed. The board sensor is now in the middle of the dowel looking for the end to pass as the dowel rolls. A strategically placed black felt pen mark or strip of black electrical tape now tricks the board sensor into thinking it has found the end of the board. Since the choice was made to place on end, the measuring is done. Time for the bit. The machine goes through the dance with the bit and then (since the default touch is set to jog to touch) stops for the jog to touch. The jig is now slid forward to put the dowel under the bit, clamped down harder and, enter is pressed. The bit touches down on the dowel and the carving begins. (Of course it matters not where carving starts!) There are still some small details and problems but that is about it.

Many years ago I used to "carve/turn" ropes with my Sears "Router-Crafter". You cut a little at a time in 3 spirals until the 3 slots meet in the middle. You have 3 spirals and hollow in the middle. Do you suppose a rotary jig could do this?
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I am not quite sure what you mean. If you mean three spiral strands with gaps between them, I think it is possible. The dowel diameter would have to be fairly small so the bit could reach the back of the strands. Strand thickness + 0.8" or so and there would have to enough room for the bit between the strands. I like it. I will work on it. Good idea.

Edit: actually this is really interesting because the carving bit could go past the center of the dowel. Hummm..
    Last edited by bergerud; 01-19-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Having worked with this concept with a 4 axis machine, yes it is possible. The MPC would have to be line/vector drawings with bits assigned to each line. I wouls suggest a .15 or .2 max depth of cut per pass in order to lessen the pressure on the jig. Also, I would also have the stock hollow to start so the bits will eventuallt cut into a void in the middle of the blank. We do this on the Legacy by using stock that has had a 1/2 round slot (1 inch radius bit cut 1/2 inch deep) on flat stock. The two pieces are then glued together and the exterior is rounded to the desired radius. This is then mounted on end holders that have a 1 inch radius pin in the middle for alignment.

This along with a MPC with either reliefs or vector carvings that pierce into the hollow centers would create very interesting projects. I can provide a link to a CNC site that would show the concept much better than I can explain if anyone wishes.

edit: Added picture of concept.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	50550
    Last edited by SteveEJ; 01-19-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

I am not sure we are thinking about the same thing. Here is a simple way to ask the question: what kind of crankshafts can I carve? How far of center can I go with the crank and still be able to carve the back and sides? When carving past the center to the backside, the wood changes direction. I have figured out the math to unwrap a surface to the "flat" surface to carve. Going past center, however, is a whole new story. I thought before about carving a chain and decided that it was not really possible. Then I mapped out the two tori instead. So much for working on the jig, now I have to think about this!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast