Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Twisted Square Column

Default Twisted Square Column

I was thinking about the conversion problem from real world 3D to rotary jig. I wondered what type of surface would carve to be a square. I plotted a twisted square column in a math program called Maple and converted it to what I believe will produce it on the rotary jig. I am hoping someone with the rotary jig will give it a go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails twisted square.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bergerud; 11-22-2011 at 04:01 PM.

I just carved the twisted square column. This is the first test of my prototype rotary jig. The dowel was 2 inch diameter and 6 inches long. The jig will hold pretty well any diameter or length dowel which fits in the machine. The jig was in the machine from start to finish. The machine measured the dowel (also, the bit touched down on the dowel for the depth measurement). Even though the prototype is crude, I am pretty happy with the outcome. Look how well the end of the carve lined up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Twisted Square.JPG  

Now that came out really good. Ya gonna show off your jig at all, looks interesting from what little we can see and I like the idea of variable sizes too.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Definitely Impressive!! -- Nice Job on your Prototype
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

I just happened on your post. I do the same thing using a spindlel sander. I'd be interested in seeing your prototype when you get it finished.
    Thanks
    Dominic Bruno
    Land O Lakes FL.

Ok, here is a picture. You cannot see all of the parts. I am hesitant to post the jig details. I do not want to get anybody upset. I am not trying to compete with Ed's rotary jig or damage his sales. I am really interested in the math involved and the problem of making a versatile jig for myself. I have much yet to do. I was going through the measurement routine and it made it through! I could not help but to try and carve something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jig.JPG  

Thats cool I see you raised the power drive a little with adjustable y... perfect indexing 2.
    I do expect to see a lot more rotor jigs down the road, that's the nature of the design application I think.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 01-15-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Bergerud, Good Job on the Rotary. I like it. Before there was a car there was a horse drawn carrage, then came a steam car, and now you can get a car that runs 200 MPH or more.. I'm glad that I was a part of the steam car portion of Carvewright Rotary carving.

Ed Baker
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Wow.. What did I post that violated the rules? Several have been deleted along with replies to them.. They were just ideas about how to push the envelope of the CW..???
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast