Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PVC sign. First carve.

Default PVC sign. First carve.

Well I had to try it (carving PVC) and decided to make myself a new sign. This will be the top half for the sign.

Since I went with conformed outline text and a ribbon banner pattern (jpaluk) I also opted to use the 3/16" carving bit as the pattern bit. Finished carve size is
    9x28 and took 3 hours and 20 minutes @ best carve quality to carve and cut out. At optimum it would have been 6hrs +. Seems like it was posted that with the 3/16 bit we should only use best as the highest setting. Tried doing a search on that but was unable to find anything on it.

Found out how big of a mess the PVC is to carve. Even with dust collection I had to pause the carve about 6 times to clean it out some with the vac. Also used a wire brush on the rails and bearings in order to get it off. It really packed and stuck to the rails.

The conceptual picture of the design is some what of what the final will look like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails top 2a.png   003.jpg   006.jpg   004.jpg  

005.jpg  
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Billings, Montana, United States, 112454482100538, Billings, Montana

Great job,yes pvc is a mess. But it will last for ever. Hope you take your sign to the woodworker's show.

Very nice sign. But what a mess! I know you do not want to hear this but I think the Dust Cap would have sucked most of that up.

Have you thought of making a dust deflector for your system. You could have a partial dust cap just to stop the cuttings from getting away from your insert. If you made a base bracket and used it to hold a half a dust cap with half of a brush, the spinning chuck just might throw many of the cuttings right at the insert. I think it is worth a try. (Feel free to use or alter my Dust Cap base.)

Ross,

Yes I do plan on taking it to the woodworker's show. Don't know if I will have all finished by then but thought it would make a great example for showing what materials can be carved with the CW. When all done the basketball hoop comes down and the sign goes up.

Bergerud,

I bet some type of dust cap would have helped a lot to capture more of the dust and chips. The insert did capture the majority of them but with the PVC being lighter and more prone to being attracted to anything with in reach I would guess they would still tend to stick to any attachment to the truck. The truck plate was well covered. I also think that if I had a higher CFM system I would have captured more.

Nope, glad to see you post about the dust cap! I believe it is a great idea for dust collection on the CW.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Very nice looking floyd...can't wait to see it finished
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Bonney Lake, Washington, United States, 113160055365328, Bonney Lake, Washington

Beautiful job Floyd! I would like to see it when it's completed.l That will be a great example at the show.
    That is exactly how my machine looked after I carved the Azek. I do think having the dust cap would be a lot of help. Check the bottom gear of the z truck, mine clogged up and jammed with all those shaving flying around.
    Tom Watson
    Two CW's and D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!
    50" X 48" PDJ Pilot Pro CNC http://www.pdjinc.com

Check out my Facebook page for current carvings at http://www.facebook.com/signsinwood

Watsons Wooden Words http://www.signsinwood.com & Messages in Wood http://www.messagesinwood.com/

Looks Great, Mr. Harris - but you spelled Redneck wrong....
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Sure is a beautiful sign, very nice indeed. Floyd how thick was the pvc to start?

Capt Barry

Great job Floyd, please post when you have painted it. Thanks for showing your work.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by cnsranch View Post
    Looks Great, Mr. Harris - but you spelled Redneck wrong....
    Jerry,

Had me for a second there! and thanks!

Capt. Barry,

The pvc board is 3/4" thick. It is a std 1 x 12 (3/4 x 11 1/4).

Spent a little over an hour cleaning the CW up this morning. The Y rails and bearings were well packed with the shavings. Had to use a green pad on the bearings to get the compressed shavings to come off.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast