Thread: We survived the LA Woodworking show.

Default We survived the LA Woodworking show.

I have been too busy to report ‘til now, and will give a quick one here. When I get time I will post the pictures in the forum “Machine” area - can't pit pix here. When we arrived it was as Joe said. Joe must have some pull; we were first booth right inside the door. But across from us in the corner was our competition - a $40,000 CNC. He has one for $5,000, but wasn't showing it. What we learned: The buyers don't walk up and buy, they will visit with you and question you all day and finally buy near the end of the day. Sign making is a noble trade and we all do it, and the viewers thought that it was a "cool". What changed minds from "cool" to "Wow! I want one" were the Lithophane (supplied by Joe) and my basket weave projects and louvers. The guy across from me or even the Shark can do signs and filigree boxes (my specialty), but precision double sided carves would be a real challenge for them, but not for the CarveWright. I recommend for anyone doing a show, find the louvers I posted on the forum and /or purchase one of my basket weave projects in the store (I buy your project and patterns when I need them.) Joe supplied chairs, but we brought our own because my back can’t take metal folding chairs. The extra chairs were a boon because people stopped to chat. One young man bought a machine, but two older couples did also. I printed out half sheets with my logo and contact info and the Start U services that I provide and training prices. My wife was my helper because no one else know what I do. Here job was to build rapport (She is much better than me at that.) and answering general questions, leaving me to demonstrate and answer technical questions. Oh, another thing, the samples that Joe sent with raster, outline and centerline lettering and the one showing conforming vectors I used constantly. The three sales we had included Centerline and Conforming Vectors.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Clint,
    Thanks for the show up date. Mine is coming up on the 18th so getting this info will help me I am sure. It will be me and a carving buddy from Denver so we will have several different carving types/styles to go along with what Joe has included in the demo package.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Besides the Centerline & Conforming Vectors, each also got the C version machine with HDTB, Standard Warranty, Full Bit Set, Scanning Probe, Pattern Editor and a free box project.

One other thing to keep in mind, eat a good breakfast before you go and take a quick pick me up snack with you, bottle of water is also a must. You probably will get some time later for breaks, but it can get pretty business.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Besides the Centerline & Conforming Vectors, each also got the C version machine with HDTB, Standard Warranty, Full Bit Set, Scanning Probe, Pattern Editor and a free box project.

One other thing to keep in mind, eat a good breakfast before you go and take a quick pick me up snack with you, bottle of water is also a must. You probably will get some time later for breaks, but it can get pretty business.
    Is that kind of like "pack your lunch!"? Thanks for the extra tips!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Is that kind of like "pack your lunch!"? Thanks for the extra tips!
    Yeah, kinda. They sell food there, but getting the chance to go eat, is the problem (not to mention the price of conference food)!
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I got to eat my lunch from Friday in a short lul Sat afternoon. Things died about 4:30 Sat. We had pasteries (not on our diet) each morning just before the doors opened. Like Connie said, we did eat a good breakfast before the 1 1/4 hr drive and the setup. We hid everything, except themachine and banner, under the tables each night, so there was setup each day.
    Clint

Out of curiosity, what would be considered a "successful" show?

I understand that a whole lot of what's accomplished at a show is getting one's name out there, but how many sales should be "projected"?

(I also know that depends on where you're at - LA vs. KC, etc.)
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

I guess for us, if not for LHR, it is in the eye of the beholder. We had fun, met some interesting prople, hopefully some will contact me in the future, and sold 3 machines. In fact I am working on a project for a contact made there preaently, but not for sales or training. He needs carving in oak chair backs. Anyway, we were not unsucessful.
    Clint

As anticipated and enjoyable as the Portland show was, I was personally surprised and disapointed that Carvewright was not represented. Well, there was the Feb/Mar 2011 issue of American Woodworker magazine being handed out free at the entry desk. The article comparing Benchtop CNC Routers was excelent. Anyone on the Start U program with a booth really should have at least a print out off the internet, or better yet, a copy of the magazine for compairison. I do think a couple of the comments made were errors in that the writer did not understand all the capabilities of the Carvewright. It would be good to point those out if using the article as a sells tool. Do know that potential buyers consider the purchase for a time before making the decision. Pass out lots of information, even collect e-mails so you can remind people if they misplace the paperwork. I think if you get their imagination started, a creative woodworker could come up with a project they would just have to make. Offering to help them with their first idea could cinch the deal.

It would be a real loss if the shows cut back even further, with expenses going up and incomes going down it's pretty easy to figure how hard it is to justify the investment. Anyone that wants to see the shows continue, be sure to attend one in your area. Some of the things offered are not available in most stores and the oppertunity to learn from the distributors and meet fellow woodworks is well worth the ticket.