Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Can I Make a Color Light Box Sign

1. Default How Can I Make a Color Light Box Sign

My sister is going to rent out a small sandwitch shop and she would like to make a sign for the front. It is a light box sign and she is wondering if it would be possible for me to take the blank acrylic sign that is there and use some acytate sheets or something that would allow light to pass through it and make a cheep sign that way. I would want to do three different colors for the design. I have not seen any videos on youtube that show how this type of thing might be done so I don't think it is possible.

I know I could try color film and cut out the different elements but I don't think it would last in the sun. And what ever type of adhesive probably wouldn't last in the elements or may bubble up from the heat.

Does anybody know if there is a way to do this sort of sign cheaply.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SignBox.png 
Views:	167 
Size:	577.3 KB 
ID:	48786

Alan

How about using a transparency film and print your design on it from your computer!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Alan,

Have you thought about "Heat resistant translucent acrylic paints" We hand brush or air brush it onto glass or clear plexi panels for displays,
    you can pick up small bottles of different colors at art supply stores or hobby/craft outlets. It's fast drying and light easily passes right through it,
    plus you can mix it as thick or thin as you need or like. It will take a little experimenting, -- but mistakes are normally easy to repair or touch up.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

You could try Gels, there used for stage lighting, you mite be able to find them at a music store that sells band equiptment or shop around on line.

If you know a sign guy you can see if they have translucent vinyl. that s how bit signs are done. You can probably find a company with a plotter you can use to cut the vinyl and then just apply it to the top of the acrylic

Stephen

Or if you can get a hold of the translucent vinyl you can cut it out with your CW! I cut stencils for my wife out of thin plastic sheets all the time with mine. I just double stick tape it to a carrier board and set the carve depth to about 1/32" and use vectors with the carving bit.

Although it would probably be easier to just have the sign guy cut it out.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

7. Default

Thanks for all the info everyone.

I like the Acrylic paint idea. I could do air brush translucent acrylic paint. That sounds about the easiest if I just do some matt airbrush masking and painting. I will do some experimenting to see if the flat areas come out streak free on plexiglass.

The translucent vinyl would be easiest but after looking for it online I found it only in like 30 yard rolls for lots of money. I wish I could find it in 8.5 x 11 sheets because I need it mostly for lettering. But the cost for big rolls is too much. Also the idea of using the carving machine to cut the vinyl is a good idea that I would try if I had some Translucent vinyl.

The Carvewright could replace those little Cricket cutters. It is the same concept but just a bigger cutting bit. The Cricket cutter doesn't have translucent vinyl: http://main.cricut.com/shopping/products-Vinyl-265.aspx

There are gel acrylic paints too but I would rather try the airbrush.

I wish I had a printer big enough to print a big sign on like the transparency paper. But I would also have to think of weather and wind and stuff.

I did find a product called acrylic sheets: http://www.inventables.com/technolog...-acrylic-sheet which comes in 1/8 and 1/4 but it would be like making a bunch of pieces and fitting them together like a puzzle which could present a new host of problems. I wonder if this would work as a good caving medium without damaging the cutting blade and all.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Malmstrom View Post
    Thanks for all the info everyone.

I like the Acrylic paint idea. I could do air brush translucent acrylic paint. That sounds about the easiest if I just do some matt airbrush masking and painting. I will do some experimenting to see if the flat areas come out streak free on plexiglass.

The translucent vinyl would be easiest but after looking for it online I found it only in like 30 yard rolls for lots of money. I wish I could find it in 8.5 x 11 sheets because I need it mostly for lettering. But the cost for big rolls is too much. Also the idea of using the carving machine to cut the vinyl is a good idea that I would try if I had some Translucent vinyl.

The Carvewright could replace those little Cricket cutters. It is the same concept but just a bigger cutting bit. The Cricket cutter doesn't have translucent vinyl: http://main.cricut.com/shopping/products-Vinyl-265.aspx

There are gel acrylic paints too but I would rather try the airbrush.

I wish I had a printer big enough to print a big sign on like the transparency paper. But I would also have to think of weather and wind and stuff.

I did find a product called acrylic sheets: http://www.inventables.com/technolog...-acrylic-sheet which comes in 1/8 and 1/4 but it would be like making a bunch of pieces and fitting them together like a puzzle which could present a new host of problems. I wonder if this would work as a good caving medium without damaging the cutting blade and all.

Alan
    I n regards to the bottom line I did find a product called acrylic sheets: http://www.inventables.com/technolog...-acrylic-sheet which comes in 1/8 and 1/4 but it would be like making a bunch of pieces and fitting them together like a puzzle which could present a new host of problems. I wonder if this would work as a good caving medium without damaging the cutting blade and all. Design the patterns in Designer or something and cut with the CW puzzle solved (Pun Intended )Do you have the DXF software for the CW?
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by James RS View Post
    Design the patterns in Designer or something and cut with the CW puzzle solved (Pun Intended )Do you have the DXF software for the CW?
    I don't have the DXF software but I could always use the "Outline Pattern" and then "Cut Path" to get vector lines and cut them out with the 1/8 cutting bit. I'm not sure if tabs would work on a peice of material that is only 1/8 thick though.

I wonder if this Acrylic Sheet would be a good material for cutting.

Alan

I learned this trick years ago as a teen. The finish I used for signs was Evirotex brand epoxy that dried in 1 hour. It was a 5-1 mixture that you can't find anymore! You still can find 1-1 mix. Anyway with recessed letters they need to be carve deeper and I would use paint pigment mix it with the epoxy and then pour or use a paint syringe and fill the bottom of the letters. Of course the sign needed to be flat and level.

In solid form the epoxy dries fast and hardens. Now this way will only work changing the letter colors, unless you used a thick piece of material then used a carve region and mix the color you want and pour a thin layer. Epoxy is not cheap but will go a long way.

Ike

Okay Ken found what you were talking about! My turn, right post wrong topic!
    Last edited by Ike; 11-09-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast