Thread: Litho carving question

Default Litho carving question

Thanks in advance for any help,

I am working on a clock that will have a litho in the bottom, on all the pics I have looked at here in the CW forums, it looks like the carved side is what you look at and the smooth side it put towards the light.. can this be reversed? so that without the light on it just looks smooth?

Jeff

It can be done, but a the results are normally Poor,
    instead - a few folks including myself have placed a thin sheet of
    glass or clear lexon plastic in front of the carved litho's face to give it a smooth
    appearance when the light in the back is on or off with out detracting form the
    quality of the original litho.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Ken is correct, you will get a "ghost" image if the litho is backwards, most of my customers enjoy the fact of how it feels and then they are amazed by the view when lit. but to each their own.. enjoy the creative process

Stephen

4. Default

hey guys im new to lithophanes and just got a carvewright about 3 weeks ago and ive done 2 lithos but im getting a basketball texture on the carved piece....ive worked with the photos in my editing software but just cant seem to get it.....any help ?...

thanks william

Quote Originally Posted by william-finn View Post
    hey guys im new to lithophanes and just got a carvewright about 3 weeks ago and ive done 2 lithos but im getting a basketball texture on the carved piece....ive worked with the photos in my editing software but just cant seem to get it.....any help ?...

thanks william
    Hi William,

Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Since we cannot actually see the photo(s) you started with, it's a guessing game to determine how best to help you. But, I'll give you my best guess!

Start with a VERY GOOD quality high resolution photo. If a photo is a low-res jpg, this could account for the "basketball texture". Also, if the photo is low-quality and enlarged at all, this makes the problem worse.

Jpg photos often suffer from "pixelation" when compressed to smaller file sizes. This pixelation will create undesirable carving results. Perhaps the following Tips & Tricks will help you understand what may be going on at your end. Here is the download link...

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads...icks_Aug08.pdf
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══