Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple Rotary Jig Modification

When I buy this fixture (Jig) am I going to have to update my designer software? I'm running 1.177 and it seems to run really great, just hate the idea of updating and then finding out they don't have all the bugs worked out of it yet. Just wondering.

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

I see the Caution that is expressed here and understand the reason for it...

Here is another thought for the Users thinking outside the BOX...

A Down Draft DUST collection system could be made.... You build a Hollow BOX of Wood to REPLACE the BOTTOM BOARD making it strong in all the areas under pressure and a Hollow OPEN CENTER Slot with a 4 inch Dust Collector hooked to the END of it.... I other words.... A Dust Collector SLED Hood Board that replaces the bottom Driver Board that moves under the dowel being cut... A sliding lid for the open slot could be made for each end of the open slot that never goes into the machine and touches the rollers for increased vacuum. Wipers at an angle could be fashioned to like a snow plow direct the dust on the sides of the dust collector sled to the center.... Just to wet the "Idea" Thread.... And something on the ends to make the Board Sensor Happy...

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 10-20-2011 at 07:40 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Jerry, I have tested the Newest firmware in every way I can think of.. It is good. It was made specifically to fix the 1.77 errors. Upgrade and you will be fine. I do know that 1.177 had many errors with boards over 14 inches wide. (and, The Jig is over 14" wide)

Ed
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a shot...

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

You can make a simple EFFECTIVE dust collection for the Rotary Jig using thin Plywood. Load the Rotary Jig into your CW with round stock installed, and the head cranked all the way down. Lay a piece of cardboard over the Back half of the Flat Panel (a Temporary Spacer). Cut a piece of thin plywood 14" wide by 14" long. Lay it on the cardboard, sliding it in until it almost touches the Round stock. Cut another piece of thin plywood 14" wide by 13 3/4 long. This piece will be installed to within 1/4 inch of the Round stock at the top.
    Depending on the thickness of the plywood used, you need two 3/4" thick spacers 12" long, inside the Rotary Jig side rails to connect these two pieces of plywood to. Like building a box inside the Jig. Now You need another 3/4" thick spacer to close the outside of this "Box". Cut a hole in the top of the Box where it extends out past your rotary jig, to accept your DC hose. Secure the Box to the inside of your jig, then remove the cardboard spacer.

See the picture of a paper mock-up. I will post real pictures this weekend.

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PA200118.jpg  
    Last edited by edzbaker; 10-20-2011 at 08:28 PM.
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

The reason I thought you were offended Ed was that instead of considering the merit of the rail idea you threw out a red herring. There are many ways to introduce the rails without fouling up the measurement procedure and yet you decided to focus on a trivial detail instead of the main point of the post. Now you are still avoiding the main point of the post and implying that the jig is too complicated for me to understand.

So yes, I think you are offended by me suggesting that your jig may be improved. I know that you have been working hard to make dowels available to your customers, and with rails, this service may no longer be required. You are probably pissed off with my interference. I can understand this and, in fact, I have tried to keep quiet with my ideas up to now. With everyone trying so hard to machine dowels, it just seemed to me that the rails were the answer and I had to come out of the closet.

Let me outline again what I think would be a basic experiment to test the rails and carve a non machined dowel:

First, take a 2X2 and, on a table saw or band saw, cut off the corners to make an octagonal cylinder. Now with a 2 1/4 inch hole saw, simultaneously make the pin holes and 2 inch round ends on the dowel. The procedure now proceeds as normal until inserting the jig. As the jig is inserted into the machine, the rails, which are just strips of wood, are inserted under the circular ends of the dowel and keep the octagonal part above the bottom panel. The jig will sit a little higher and there will be a little more wood to carve on the dowel corners. As far as I can see this should work just fine but, of course, it has to be tested.

I honestly thought Ed, that you would see the rails as obvious and be happy to improve your jig. Anyway, the idea is now out there so there is no way to avoid it. It would be nice if you could test it and let us know what you really think.

bergerud, I have not been offended, nor have I been working to sell dowels to ANY customers. As a matter of fact I haven't sold ANY dowels to any jig owner. My dowels have more value If I use them, than if I sold them.
    I have worked toward geting a supplier for jig owners, and that wound up being Bayerwood.com, of which I have absolutely no affiliation.
    I have a full time, well paying job. I only do this as a hobby. Yes, It's nice if a tool pays for itself, but it's not a requirement.

As far as modifying the jig, I have no intention of doing so. The existing Jig was tested and approved by LHR. I have a contract with LHR. I couldn't change it if I wanted to. (Which I don't) It took months of testing by LHR to get this jig approved. That is the point I believe you are missing.

Thank you for your suggestions ! but I will pass on them for now.

Ed
    Last edited by edzbaker; 10-21-2011 at 11:15 AM.
    Thank You....

AL, The Box type Flat Panel would work, but remember, changing the thickness of the flat panel would require the same dimensional changes to be made to the side rails of the jig.

Ed

I have added pictures of the dust collection add-on that I posted last night. It is Simple, Effective, Cheap, and easy to make. read post #15 above. This one has a hole for a 3 inch hose, and you can see it would be just as easy to use a 4 inch hose. The Plywood I used is Luan ?? I'm not sure of the spelling, but it is THIN, and real cheap.

Keep in mind that if you add more than a hole (Like a hose connector) you may have to load the Rotary Jig from the rear of your machine.

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PA210119.jpg   PA210120.jpg   PA210121.jpg   PA210122.jpg  

PA210123.jpg   PA210124.jpg   PA210125.jpg  
    Last edited by edzbaker; 10-21-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Added Pictures of Box Type INTERNAL D.C.
    Thank You....

Default Any thoughts on an ideal rotary jig?

I have, as I am sure others have, thought of how to make a rotary jig. It has been on my list of things to design ever since I saw the CO2 racer jig years ago. Ed Baker’s jig is a very cool design which is ingeniously simple. I had not imagined that a jig could be so simple. I had in mind a much more complicated jig. For my own use, Ed’s jig is too simple, I want a more versatile jig that:

• can handle a variety of dowel sizes – both length and diameter
    • can handle rough cut wood and/or make its own dowels
    • can stay installed in the machine without process interruption
    • can measure the dowel directly as if measuring a board
    • can function with the current hardware and software

This seems like a real design challenge. Do you guys think such a jig is even possible? Can you think of any other features that the ideal rotary jig should have?

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I have, as I am sure others have, thought of how to make a rotary jig. It has been on my list of things to design ever since I saw the CO2 racer jig years ago. Ed Baker’s jig is a very cool design which is ingeniously simple. I had not imagined that a jig could be so simple. I had in mind a much more complicated jig. For my own use, Ed’s jig is too simple, I want a more versatile jig that:

• can handle a variety of dowel sizes – both length and diameter
    • can handle rough cut wood and/or make its own dowels
    • can stay installed in the machine without process interruption
    • can measure the dowel directly as if measuring a board
    • can function with the current hardware and software

This seems like a real design challenge. Do you guys think such a jig is even possible? Can you think of any other features that the ideal rotary jig should have?
    I can't think of a way,but I like what I've seen with Ed's jig.
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast