Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple Rotary Jig Modification

Default Simple Rotary Jig Modification

Seems to me that if the rotary jig were to have rails on the bottom board for the dowel to roll on, a few problems would be solved. There would be clearance for dowels which are not perfectly round as well as clearance for dust between the dowel and the bottom board. (One would have to flip the bottom board over onto the rails or use a different board for the measurement process and the jig would sit a little higher.)

It would be an easy experiment to add two sand paper rails to the bottom board. Then make a rough 2 inch diameter hexagonal or octagonal cross section dowel on a table or band saw. The ends of the dowel that roll on the rails can be made circular with a 2 inch I.D.hole saw. Now either carve it circular or just carve it.

Further, if one made a set of precise 2 inch diameter "driver" wheels for each end to be part of the jig, more problems would be solved. The circumference of all projects would be consistent reducing the trial and error involved in pattern length. The need for precise dowels would be eliminated. The only requirement would be that the ends which attach to the driving wheels be cut square.

(Maybe different height rail sets would be a way to design a jig for variable diameter dowels.)
    Last edited by bergerud; 10-19-2011 at 10:20 AM.

What a bought cutting slots in the left & right sides of center to allow vacuum areas?
    Just a thought.
    Lee
    Pop's Fix It Shop, We won't make it any worse.. Using "A" machines 1.187 1.188 ,2.007, 3.103
    2 Machines no waiting.

Rotary Jig Owners PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO Item #8 in the Rotary Accessory Instruction Manual. Titled "IMPORTANT" ,,,,there is a reason for that being in there....

Ed
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

What would that be, I am at work and do not have it here.
    Lee
    Pop's Fix It Shop, We won't make it any worse.. Using "A" machines 1.187 1.188 ,2.007, 3.103
    2 Machines no waiting.

Icutone2, Do not move the flat panel, as was suggested in the beginning of this thread.
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

OK Ed, but could you still make slots in the flat bottom board to allow the vacuum to extract the stringy chips from the machine. Note: leaving the sides and the middle section intact for tracking and board measuring.
    Lee
    2 Machines no waiting.

Lee. I think you would be OK making slots, as long as you didn't weaken the flat panel to a point that it would break. I'm guessing you are using a "DownDraft" dust removal system.
    I wouldn'tget too close to the edges or ends. Keep in mind that the Combined pressure of the TWO pressure rollers is now centered between the tracking belts.

As Always, give me a shout if I can assist in any way...

Ed
    Thank You....

If you are afraid if a brass roller tracking error, the flat panel does not have to be moved. The rails can simply be added after the measurement procedure at the same time as the jig is installed. This is a trivial detail and is not a reason to reject the idea. If you think about it, adding rails is a great idea which is as simple as laying down two strips of wood to roll the ends of the dowel on. It means that imprecise dowels can be made precise on your jig or they can be carved without needing to be made precise. There is no need to buy dowels, lathes, or make router jigs. Your jig can do it all!

I sense that you are or have been offended by me. If I have offended you, I am sorry.
    Last edited by bergerud; 10-19-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I sense that you are or have been offended by me. If I have offended you, I am sorry.
    Hello,

I don't think anyone was offended - it's always interesting to read your "brainstorming" posts and often helps present a fresh perspective of thinking. (Which I desperately need at times!)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

bergerud, Why would I be offended ?
    My post was directed to "Rotary Jig Owners", stating that your suggestion in the first post should not be followed. I wouldn't want to see owners of the Rotary Jig make damaging modifications that are suggested by Anyone that has not looked at all of the jig. Like I have said before, there is more to the jig than you can see in a photo.
    I agree with what Michael said, Brain-storming is good, but one needs to fully understand a product and all of it's functions before making suggestions that it's owners vary from the instructions manual written specifically for that item..
    Thank You....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast