Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2" Dowel from a 2x2 MPC

Thanks for the reply Bud. That's kind of why I was asking about removing the four corners so it would get you close to 2". Hard to picture it and don't know the restriction. Just curious on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    Any portion of the stock that exceeds the 2 inch diameter of the intended dowel will bind in the jig. The design is based on using 2 inch dowel stock. Perhaps the attached drawing will help you see the issue with any stock outside of the 2 inch diameter.
    AskBud
    Attachment 48170
    Last edited by PCW; 10-18-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Ed, You have NO idea! Having a 4axis CNC and a REVO gives me some experience in this area. Only if I had more time! Work, hunting season, grand kids and HoneyDo's leave me little time..

OK, for the disc's.. Create a MPC that cuts them out. If you have the Rotary jig you DO have a CarveWright, right??

Get 3 to 4 pieces of angle, either iron, steel or aluminum and some large hose clamps. Add a 14 inch clamp to put pressure on the disc's.

Glue and stack the disc's within the two edges of each of the angle pieces. Put the pipe clamps around the angle and snug. Place the clamp on the disc's to squeeze them together and then tighten the hose clamps.

Allow to dry and clean the glue off. Drill the ends as necessary.

Just a thought..
    Last edited by SteveEJ; 10-18-2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Added..
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

You asked and here it is. A 2" round by 14" long pattern cut into 4 pieces to be cut from .5" thick boards. In the MPC is 2 pattern each making up one half of the round 2" stock. Cut each 2 times and glue up (I would use something like sand blasting sand between the glue ups to keep them from sliding).

Note: may want me to resize the stock a little oversize for the taper of the bit to get a final 2" dia. Just let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2round.JPG   2round1.JPG  
    Last edited by eelamb; 10-18-2011 at 09:43 PM.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Ed, do your glue up of various types of wood, making a board. Then carve the round from the patterns I just posted, glue those up and carve in your jig. you could get some really interesting patterns from that. I like doing segmented wood turnings http://lambswoodworking.com/misc/seg%20vase1.jpg
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

You guys are great. Eddie the only problem I see is that if the slices would need to be cut using a raster and the machine time may outweigh the benifits. What do you thing about vectors and assigng a .25 bullnose? May go a lot quicker.

Lynn, feel free to move this thread to techniques if you see fit.

12" x 1.75" square stock with 2 x 1" " rubber wheels screwed on each end?

PCW, the only way to assign a different bit (that I know of) is to do the whole thing in vector in designer. Then It would be hard to get the exact roundness on the second piece. The round top would be easy (dome). In modeling and STL import I do not see a place to assign a bit.

If someone wants to try, mine has the exact measurement of the first piece for them to work from. Thus the second piece would start with the width of the first and taper down to 2" with a dome to round it. Good one for Kenm, he is good at these types.

Eddie

Make your own multi-wood dowels useing a Ringmaster. Cut several different species of 2" rings and glue together to form your dowel. You now will have a dowel with a 1/2" hole all the way through, ( good for making lamps). Plug the ends of the dowel with whatever it takes to use in the Rotary jig. You can now have a carved lamp base.
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Eddie, I don't have the Rotary yet myself -- but,

I spent some time looking into making 2" Dowels with the CW Designer in both 2 and 4 pices sections,
    in my honest opinion "unless you want to say, or do it as a personal challenge" your time and cost of materials,
    would be better spent on ordering or purchasing ready make round blanks for you projects.

Maybe I'm just getting lazy, but that's my thoughts about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Glue-up 2 inch Dowels 1a km.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenm810; 10-19-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Nice idea Ken but I think I will buy them for now. I have a few pieces to round off in the lathe to try out. Don't want to ware out the brushes on the machine.
    Lee
    Pop's Fix It Shop, We won't make it any worse.. Using "A" machines 1.187 1.188 ,2.007, 3.103
    2 Machines no waiting.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast