Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2" Dowel from a 2x2 MPC

Default 2" Dowel from a 2x2 MPC

I don't have the rotary jig but I was wondering what your thoughts about using this mpc to produce a dowel. It should produce a 2" dowel 12" long leaving both ends with 1” X 2"square. I don't see why the machine couldn't handle this however I may be totally off base here but you have to start somewhere I guess.

Board Layout 14" X 6.727 X .750

Drew a series of vectors 11.5 and assigned a 1/2 straight bit using 4 passes with a max .138 per cut for a total cut of .41 cut allowing for a .250 overlap for the bit on the ends of the vectors (should yield 12”). I used Randall Newcomb diagram below to get the depth.

In this first diagram ignore the top number it's referring to a safe Z and doesn't pertain to the CW

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SquareZheight.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	48166
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dowel1.PNG   dowel2.PNG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

The Rotary Jig is unable to Rotate Square stock.

Ed
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Quote Originally Posted by edzbaker View Post
    The Rotary Jig is unable to Rotate Square stock.

Ed
    Thanks Ed... Well it was a good thought anyway. How about if the corners where cut down?

It was a good thought. But the existing Jig uses one inch on each end of the Round stock to rotate the piece and to keep it centered under the cuting bit.

Ed
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Dan, check your PM.

Also, if someone could take a 2 inch dowell in STL format then slice it and make into mpc, that MAY work. The problem would be the 7 degree angle if the carve bit.
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Got ya.... Thanks again Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edzbaker View Post
    It was a good thought. But the existing Jig uses one inch on each end of the Round stock to rotate the piece and to keep it centered under the cuting bit.

Ed

WOW Steve.. It would definately work, carving in slices and then stacking and glueing it up, then carving it again... That piece of wood would be Tired when you got finished with it in the Rotary jig...
    I have never seen so many ideas on makeing a piece of round wood..... But Ideas are what make things happen...

Ed
    Thank You....

Default Dowel

Quote Originally Posted by PCW View Post
    Thanks Ed... Well it was a good thought anyway. How about if the corners where cut down?
    Any portion of the stock that exceeds the 2 inch diameter of the intended dowel will bind in the jig. The design is based on using 2 inch dowel stock. Perhaps the attached drawing will help you see the issue with any stock outside of the 2 inch diameter.
    AskBud
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Round or Dowel stock.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	48170
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Stacking 2" discs and gluing them would work too. A little messy and must be done accurately but very possible. Contrasting wood types could be very attractive!
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Whew... that would give a 2" holesaw a workout. I actually do have something similar on my "To-Do" list. I plan to stack & glue pieces of wood of different colors "On an angle" cut that into squares and turn them down to 2" X 36" dowels. I think that would make a walking cane like no other.

I see now that Tonight, you have your "Creativity" hat on Steve..

Ed
    Thank You....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast