Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2" Dowel from a 2x2 MPC

I have been trying to use your jig, but the dole turns from the motion of the carving head. Have you seen this problem before and if so how did you fix it.

Leo Davenport

Do you mean that the dowel is slipping on the bottom board because of the carving forces? (Maybe your dowel is smaller than 2" in diameter or the head is not cranked down enough.)

Quote Originally Posted by ladjr View Post
    I have been trying to use your jig, but the dole turns from the motion of the carving head. Have you seen this problem before and if so how did you fix it.

Leo Davenport
    Are you saying that the dowel is loose, or that the dowel is moving in what seems a wrong direction for a flat board?
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Quote Originally Posted by ladjr View Post

Leo Davenport
    Leo, I posted this several weeks ago. Your order was one of the EARLY ones, (3rd one shipped) READ BELOW, this is probably the cause, and fix for the slip.

I sent this in an E-mail to everyone who has a Rotary Jig, but some of the messages were not deliverable...

It has been found that on some models of the carvewright machine, the Rotary jig is not compressing the round stock as it should. This is caused by some models having screws that protrude higher than other models in the area where the jig sits.
    With your machine turned OFF, with a 2" piece installed in the jig, put both pieces of the rotary Jig in the machine. Crank the head down as low as it will go (Until you hear clicking in the crank). Reach in and see if the round wood can be turned by hand. If so, look under the Rotary jig "Side Rails" and see where the screw heads are not allowing the jig to go all whe way down on the guide plates.
    Remove the Jig top piece, and with a drill or something to grind with you can remove just enough wood from the side rails (About 1/8 inch, Where the screws are hitting) to allow it to set down. You can probably see indentions where the screws were.
    Once this is fixed, test the round piece by hand to see if it is now tight when the head is cranked down.

I appoligize for any inconvienence... Contact me if you need assistance,,, .

Ed Baker .

I should add: Rotary Jigs shipped later have had this problem corrected prior to shipment.
    Last edited by edzbaker; 11-08-2011 at 07:35 AM.
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

I believe this is the area Ed is speaking about that needs to be cut out. On some models the bolts on the side rails protrude high enough to interfear with the jig. This photo might help you see where the problem existed until cut out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ED'S JIG.jpg  

Thanks Smoken D, I didn't have a picture available, but you saved the day. Leo sent an e-mail to me and said the problem was solved, and he is now carving on round wood.

Ed
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234