Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3d scanner and David 3d software

Default 3d scanner and David 3d software

Of course I continue to wonder to myself "what can I make this machine do"...

One of the things that I really like is the scanning probe, however, it does have limitations -
    1- you have to affix the item
    2- the probe touches the item and may scratch it (even with a cover)
    3- there are size limitations

I have been looking into 3d scanners (just for kicks) and found myself playing around with some software called David 3d. This is a pretty powerful (and free) basic software that can capture 3d data with only a webcam and a line laser (like on a laser level) The quality of the camera and laser affect the performance significantly, and all I have is a very VERY cheap and fuzzy laser... but I managed to do a proof of concept anyway.

my first scan was of a small gourd/pumpkin

and I have to say that I'm not terribly unhappy with the result

I obviously have some work to do in meshlab- but the initial results are encouraging. The biggest advantage I can see this having over the probe is that you can take multiple position scans and mesh them together in meshlab to create a watertight model which can be exported into an STL... think of the possibilities! (people must close their eyes to protect them from the laser, but you can still scan people...!) Also, there is no size limit, you just need to create a larger backdrop. People have scanned cars etc successfully.

Anyway, Here is a pretty neat video showing how it is done.
    http://cnettv.cnet.com/systm-build-3...-50004100.html

If this interests anyone else I'll be more than happy to share my learning experiences as I go along. I can foresee some pretty cool carves coming out of this setup.

Lawrence

I saw that demo a few weeks ago and thought it had potential. Good to see someone is continuing to develop it.

I played with it briefly about a year ago. I ended up thinking at the time it was too much work for the results I was getting. I also understand there is a hack for Microsoft Kinect that lets you use it as a 3D scanner. That looked more promising, but I dont have an xbox.... and I didnt want to buy the Kinect just for that purpose.

If you google there are a lot of hits for Kinect hacks... but here is one

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archiv...-Printing.html
    Doug Fletcher

I had looked into this system a while back but decided to go a head and get the Next Engine 3d scanner it does cost more but it does a great job and works well with the stl inporter

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

I have also tried this program and others. I really wanted to be able to carve my granddaughter's faces. The best, I think is PhotoModeler Scanner. These photo to 3D programs all seem to require more work than they are worth. They depend on making a one to one correspondence between points on different pictures. Slight errors lead to hard to fix results. I have given up on these for now.

Love it! With programs like these there are no limits! I may have to pull down the direct camera and try that as well. It has a later and 3d camera, it should work very well.

8. Default

Thats some really neet stuff. I could spend a few weeks on that. But I should sort through a back up my family photos first.

Alan

9. Default

So I couldn't sleep and I had an idea about making a 3D face image using my laser level and Photoshop and so I finished making this today. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faces.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	462.2 KB 
ID:	48210

It's a 3D image of me but to tell you the truth it looks more like Rush Limbaugh. I think it's pretty hard to do a 3D that ends up looking like the person your trying to do unless you use just the right tints of paint or stain. You would have to be an artist to make it look good.

Alan

10. Default

By the way I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with that David 3D Lawrence. Being able to make 3D's with a laser and video camera is pretty neat stuff.

By the way this is how I normally look in real life. As you can see it's a little different than the 3D image I made. Maybe if I kept a straight face it would come out better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alan.PNG 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	48213

Alan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast