Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dowels for your Rotary Jig

Default Dowels for your Rotary Jig

Please use this section to discuss making dowels and sources for buying them.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I use a Legacy Ornamental Mill to make dowels; it can make Pen blanks and up to six inches round to 36 inches long.

ShopNotes has a Jig that makes round stock and can do most of the things I can do with my Mill. I started working on it, have the MPC’s for all the gears – I haven’t carved them yet.

http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/115/videos/router-milling-machine-video/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ShopNotes%20Milling%20Machine%20Pattern%20files.jpg   Dowels 1.jpg   Dowels 2.jpg  
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

After looking at your stuff here BJB now I have a question about the rotary jig. Is it possible to carve to make like a large 2" dia screw? How would one go about figuring out how to lay it out on a straight board for designer? Hope this isn't too much of a dumb question but your work really got me thinking. Thanks

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post
    After looking at your stuff here BJB now I have a question about the rotary jig. Is it possible to carve to make like a large 2" dia screw? How would one go about figuring out how to lay it out on a straight board for designer? Hope this isn't too much of a dumb question but your work really got me thinking. Thanks

CJ

I don't think you could do that with the CW Rotary Jig. I can do it with my Legacy Mill, I would need to change the gears to get the right thread spacing and use a “V” bit.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

I think it can be done. It sounds like an interesting problem. How would you make the nut?

I agree, I think a screw could be made... the pattern would just look "candy cane-ish". As for the nut... good luck!
    Doug Fletcher

Well then if the screw can be made then the nut could also be made but in 2 pieces. Would sure take some trial and error cuts. It was just a thought after seeing BJ's pictures. Thanks guys.

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

BJB, What model is that? I have a Revo fully manual and a 900/Standard CNC. 2" dowels are not a problem for Ed's jig.

BTW: Jerry, there was a end vise made with the type of mill BJB has. Both the thread and nut. Look around for their site.
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I think it can be done. It sounds like an interesting problem. How would you make the nut?
    traditionally, female threads are created with a tap. If you do not have a large metal tap (2 inch taps are expensive) you can make your own by inserting a cut off piece of saw file into the teeth of the screw and then working it into a hole drilled slightly too small. It is not easy, but it can be done.

Lawrence

Hello,

Here's a quick update on the 2" x 14" pre-drilled dowels sourced from www.bayerwood.com

I spoke with Mike Bayer this morning and he tells me the dowels should be available before the end of the week (scheduled to arrive to his place in the next day or two). He told me that it may be a "mixture" of Birch and Maple and possibly some Ash in the batch as well. He's not exactly sure what mixture of wood species will be in this first shipment until he receives it and looks it over. I plan to get a quantity of either Birch or Maple (Maple would be my preference, but I may get some of each). He also mentioned some folks have been requesting Poplar (and other species), but he and I are not sure that Poplar would produce as nice of a carve as the other hardwoods.

Anyway, I'll take what I can get from whatever is in this first batch. My plan is to design and carve some spiral rotary patterns to satisfy my own "proof of concept", then offer the patterns to the public. My main reason for testing is to find an "ideal" dimension that won't fall short or overlap too much when the rotary pattern is carved around the circumference of the dowel. Also, I don't know if there will be any variance in the dowel diameters. If there is some minor variance, then I'll just have to find a compromise in pattern dimensions that will work as well as possible.

Mike Bayer has a list of folks to call when the dowels are ready for shipment. Of course, he will also post the dowels on his website after he has had a chance to take a photos, enter these specialty items into his product database, etc. If you are not already on his "call list", you may want to give him a ring at 1-800-323-0817 so you won't have to wait for the items to be posted on the website.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast