Thread: Some hinge help

Default Some hinge help

So I have a friend that saw some of the the things a carvewright can do and so he asked for a snuff box with a hinge. Turns out that the reason that he asked for one is that no one has made this type of box in a very long time and he wanted one. I have done some research and the hinge type for this box is called a Scottish hinge, secret hinge, or Laurencekirk hing. Looks like you can make it from wood and then drive a metal rod through the wood to make it snuff tight. Any help would be great,

Joseph

While trying to google Scottish Hinge the best lead I could come up with to check lapidary or jewelry supply. I'll keep looking.
    G.P.
    Last edited by GrammaPam; 10-16-2011 at 09:27 PM.

This might give you some ideas how to make them
    I used to do them with my scroll saw years ago,
    but there should be a way to do them on our Carvers.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Articles/Ar...?articleid=613
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wooden Hinge 1a.jpg  
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Quote Originally Posted by JMRoberson View Post
    So I have a friend that saw some of the the things a carvewright can do and so he asked for a snuff box with a hinge. Turns out that the reason that he asked for one is that no one has made this type of box in a very long time and he wanted one. I have done some research and the hinge type for this box is called a Scottish hinge, secret hinge, or Laurencekirk hing. Looks like you can make it from wood and then drive a metal rod through the wood to make it snuff tight. Any help would be great,

Joseph

I have some images of the hinge, this was from a Tea Box. I think you could use the INCRA Hinge Crafter to make the hinge, you would need to make it part of the box. BJB

http://www.incra.com/manuals/hingecrafter_manual.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hygra%20(19).jpg   hygra%20(21).jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bjbethke; 10-17-2011 at 12:02 AM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Thank you all for the input. I am going to be working on this but it will take me some time. I think that I should be able to get the CW to cut the hinge to some degree. I just have not learned how to do it yet.

Joseph