Thread: Cool Weather, Scrap wood. What a combination.

Default Cool Weather, Scrap wood. What a combination.

It's turning cool down south, and a fire outside in the evening is something I really enjoy. I have plenty of scrap wood and a year or so back I made a "Chimenea" out of 3 truck brake drums, 2 pieces of flat steel, and some pipe. After looking at the $300 + prices I said there has to be a better way, and here is what I dreamed up.

Note: It takes a PLASMA Torch to cut Cast Iron truck brake drums, so If you have one or have a welding shop near, and a truck repair shop near (to get old Brake Drums) , you can get it done at a decent price.

Cut four pieces out of one of the drums, leaving only "Legs and Base" for the chimenea. (See the bottom of the attached picture)
    Cut a piece out of the 2nd brake drum to allow you to feed the fire.
    Stand the first brake drum on it's legs, and turn the second brake drum over and place it on the first. Put a round piece of flat steel inside the 2nd brake drum to close the holes in the bottom.
    Then Place the third brake drum on top of the 2nd drum. Put a round piece of flat steel on top with a Smoke pipe in the center. Look at the picture and you will see how it's made.

Since the Brake Drums weigh just over 100lb each (before cuting) they are stable if you just stack them, but tabs can be added to help them stay stacked if you desire.
    This Chimenea will last a lifetime, it's not imported, and it is cheap to make.

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PA150113.jpg  
    Last edited by edzbaker; 10-15-2011 at 07:25 PM.
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Thanks Ed, Not only does he makes a rotary carving jig. He'll keep the shop nice and cozy, too ! Capt Barry.

3. Default

Yep. I have a store bought one just outside the door of my shop. It's nice to have a fire going on a cold day.

it was 99 here today... no fire required....

Lawrence

Was a real nice day here as well! No fire needed but it'll happen real soon like in a week or two.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

6. Default

We are getting days in the mid to low 50's and mid to high 30's at night. Frost on the pumpkins soon.