Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendations for a Dust Collection unit.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Need recommendations for a Dust Collection unit.

We are looking for a shop vacuum to suit our dust collection needs and is compatible with the ringneckblues DC hood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jrcreations_020.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	577.9 KB 
ID:	47958
    As you can see our "workshop" shares the same space as our dining room right now but we hope to move into a garage sometime in the next year. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jen

If you do a search with quotation marks around your search words, you'll get tons of info (I searched "collector", and "dust collector" about an hour ago).

Don't use a shop vac - do a search for that, and you'll find out why.

BTW, I found out that the HarborFreight 1hp units that run around $100 will do you fine.

I've got larger DC in the shop, but I wanted to find something I could dedicate to the CW, and small enough to go under the CW, and sort of out of the way.
    Last edited by cnsranch; 10-12-2011 at 03:19 PM.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

FWIW - there's a Grizzly dust collector on CraigsList in Louisville for sale - he wants $175 for it - sounds like a good deal (runs on 220v, though).

Here's the model from Grizz:

http://grizzly.com/products/G1029Z2

and here's the link to the CL ad:

http://louisville.craigslist.org/tls/2599692437.html

CraigsList is a great place to find WW tools.

Hope this helps.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

A consideration when venting outside: If you do so, are you not pulling in 650 CFM from the outside? Wouldn't that add significantly to HVAC load?

Jen go to Amazon.com and look up a booklet call Woodstock International W1050 Dust Collection Basics
    Book
    . It tells just how to set up a collection system for you shop or garage. It will give you many hints as to sq. footage and design layout.
    Then look for a DC unit that is at least 650 CFM, nothing less, Rockler, Grizzly, Harborfreight, Lowes also sell some nice small units just for your CW machine.

Perry
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

Jen

I have a dedicated 650 cfm for carving and it works well with the Ringneck's collector. Don't know where you are located but if it's warm I would use it outside. JMO but way too many safety issues carving in the living area. I can see you have small children in the house as well... I'm sure others will chime in. Good Luck

Hi, Dick

You aren't pulling the cfm in, but you are venting that much outside. That's something to consider - in the Summer, you're pushing air-conditioned air out, and in the Winter, you're sucking heated air out. Makes those elec and gas bills go way up.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Yes but if you are sensitive to the dust the reduced health care costs may off set the HVAC costs. it could probably also be run through and air to air heat exchanger to recover some of the heating/cooling costs.

Not that I do this. My shop is unheated except for a cat heater when I'm in the shop when it is cold but I am working on moving the DC unit outside of the shop or at least vent it out.

With the CT installed the CW is quite pleasant to work around so I'd really like to get the noise of the DC out of the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by cnsranch View Post
    Hi, Dick

You aren't pulling the cfm in, but you are venting that much outside. That's something to consider - in the Summer, you're pushing air-conditioned air out, and in the Winter, you're sucking heated air out. Makes those elec and gas bills go way up.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Quote Originally Posted by cnsranch View Post
    Hi, Dick

I don't agree - if a volume of air is going out, then that same volume of air is coming in from somewhere. If not, you're lowering the pressure in your building, and I don't believe that is possible, as there are many, many places for air to enter even in a tight building.

You're right, Dick - I wasn't tracking with you.

I think we both agree that pulling 650 Cf of air out of a dwelling, and replacing it with the same amount of air from the outside will stress the HVAC system.

My son designs HVAC for the Feds, I'll get some numbers from him for the fun of it.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast