Thread: AutoCAD used in ??

Default AutoCAD used in ??

I am ready to purchase some software and want to confirm if this is the right software. I would like to take my AutoCAD drawing and import into Carvewright Designer. This will allow me to use the lines from AutoCAD and create cut paths and so on, hopefully. Do I purchase "CarveWright Conforming Vectors" ?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Experience is a doorway -- Not a final goal.

Nope.. that would be the wrong software. You would want to get the dxf importer. Of you can also use the free ai2mpc conversion program if you can get your dxf/dwg files to an Adobe Illustrator 8.0 format.
    Doug Fletcher

Dave Doug is right, you need the DXF importer, unless you convert the DXF files to AI and use the ai2mpc program.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Well I had $50 to either buy wood or software. But I am not buying what I don't need. $200 is way out of my budget.
    Experience is a doorway -- Not a final goal.

I cant argue with that! Do you know if you are able to output (export) your dwg/dxf files to Adobe Illustrator (.ai) format? If you can, we can help show your how to use the FREE ai2mpc program. I used it for years before I finally broke down and got the dxf importer. And in my opinion, ai2mpc still can do 95% of anything I needed to do.
    Doug Fletcher

until you have the $$ you can do as Doug and Eddie recommended and use the ai2mpc method to get a similar result-- it is an impressive way of getting it done. Bjbethke gave some great how-to's in this thread on how to get that done.
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...-Vector-plugin

All this being said, the dxf importer is amazing and I highly recommend it (it changed the way I carve).
    This kind of thing (and my recent situation with patterns/stl's) reminds me of the story when Abraham Lincoln was asked what he would do if he was given 4 hours to chop down a tree and he responded that he would spend the first 3 hours sharpening his axe. I had to keep sharpening (saving) and then buy the stl importer. Hopefully the tree will fall quickly now...

I certainly wish you good luck and know that where there is a will there is a way-- keep up your positive attitude and we'll all get through this thing together.
    Lawrence
    Last edited by lawrence; 10-12-2011 at 08:29 AM.