Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food Safe??

For the inside of the Tortilla warmers I have as projects in the Store here, I used butcher block oil that I also use on cutting bvoards. Easy to find and not expensive at Home Depot.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I use bee's wax for counter tops and cutting boards.This can be used for bowls and dishes. To stain them you can use food dye's and mix the colors.to make the color you want(past type)

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    one of the most renowned finishers in the world, Bob Flexner, advocates that all of the non-metal containing (modern) finishes cure food safe.

Lawrence
    I have heard this from Bob Flexner and at a class I went to one time. I would stick with polyurethane. Doesn't have to be Salad Bowl. I heard Salad bowl is made of the same stuff as any other.

Thats what I think any way.

Alan

Know this is older post, but Shellac is food safe. They use shellac as glaze on medicines and candy so... but on cutting boards and such I use a mix of mineral oil, bees wax and carnuba wax.

Also watch out for the Stain you are using.... Could be NON FOOD SAFE.... With todays Liability Laws.... You are correct to error on the side of Caution. Nut Aligeries.... A Slippery Slope.... Not worth loosing your house over...

Also search this on Sawmill Creek and Wood Web.

Good Luck,

AL

Real World...

Yes your Honor, we have Exhibit "E" the transcripts from a CarveWright Forum where the Defendant Did Look for Advice on Safe Wood Finishes. So your Honor, He proceeded and our Client was Harmed. With Pain and Suffering, we are looking for a Settlement of..... $$$$$$
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 12-15-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Howard's Butcher block oil would be the best bet.Exceeds FDA standards for butcher blocks, cutting boards, wooden utensils, wooden bowls and even wooden toys.

You can get it on amazon and similar product at most wood stores

when making a wooden spoon is just leaving the wood raw with no finish an OK practice [ i use cherry wood
    ]
    All opinions given to me on this forum will be as just opinions an will not be used against anyone with who opinionates 2 me in a court of law [ HA ha]
    DENNY

If nothing else you can just wipe on some mineral oil. Find it at most drug stores. Will make it look nice and give some protection.

Lawrence is dead on, all finishes are SUPPOSED to be food safe once fully cured. Of course that is a problem in and of itself. I have had stained items that still retained a chemical smell after 40 or 50 days.

My most popular item sold is Cutting boards and Butcher blocks, I sell a hundreds of them, no exaggeration. I did a lot of research into what works and what could bite you in the butt later on. Mineral oil is always a safe bet, but requires reapplication for maintenance as time goes by. Customers generally hate that, but I still use it on some of my blocks. I would never use a stain on any item to be used with food. Stain is way to questionable in curing times. For 99.9% of my cutting boards and my bowls, I use Salad bowl finish. It is essentially a mineral oil base with paraffin distillates to allow it to harden and seal pores. With a few coats you can actually work it up to a nice semi gloss finish for bowls. It's safe and the FDA has approved it so your rear is covered. I do use and sell some nut oil products with my boards, but I make sure that they all state that they contain nut oils and may cause allergic reactions. In general, it is best to stick to the salad bowl finish. It's easy, safe, and gives a very nice low maintenance finish to your products.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12