Thread: broken shaft on probe

Default broken shaft on probe

hi
    i tried to look through the archives but all my search came up with nothing or too small of words or something i was doing wrong. Thanks
    Is there any way to fix a broken shaft on a scanning probe. i think i tightened down the rock chuck too much and when it hit the side of the sled it broke i think but it is now broken off about 1/16" above top is there any way to fix. I think i could super glue a 1/2 to 1/4" rock chuck adapter on to it but not sure how much that would be compared to a replacement chuck if you can get one?
    Any Ideas.

I have only scanned one thing so i am not much good at scanning. I think my sled side rails were too high for how short the part was. I set the depth on to the top of the part and then told it to go 1" offset to that thinking it would use the top as the height and then scan 1" down but i forgot about the two side rails being higher even though i didn't put the side into my scanning area, could that of been what broke it.

Thanks for the help
    Tim

2. Default

No answers to this thread yet?
    Well, I don't remember if the shaft is plastic or metal. Superglue should de the trick either case, as long as it doesn't hit the rails again.
    If plastic, you may want to drill both pieces of the shaft and insert a 1/8 rod, to join the two piece and provide re-inforcement, but only if you think you need it.
    May you be well, may you find happiness! : - )
    "Exaggerated self-importance is deemed an individual fault, but a racial virtue." From Kelly Millar

I sent him a PM about his probe and link to instructions on building sled here: http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/service/Manuals/Scanning_sled_plans.pdf

CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!