Thread: Not exactly a newbie...........

Default Not exactly a newbie...........

Hi. I bought my CW a couple of years ago. Did some work with it. Then we moved and it has been packed away for a long time.

First question. Before I start it up is there any maintenance I need to perform? Oiling?

Second question. In the manual it says 'do not cut metal'. I am hoping that by now this may have changed - has it? What I want to do is cut very thin flashing or tin. Was hoping I could mount a piece to a board and run it through. Just want to cut silhouettes. Is there a bit that will work for this? Has anyone ever tried it? Just can't afford a plasma cutter right now.

Thanx! Glad to be back.

Maria

Maria, I think others will chime in soon, but I think cuting metal would not be a good idea with the Carvewright machine, even with the right bit, due to feed rates for wood being so much different than metal. Of course there may be someone who will say it will work. But I think of it this way. Plowing a garden "Could" be done with an airplane, but it's not a good practice, and could result in a catastrophic event.

Ed
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Think of it this way, you will be creating metal shavings, These shaving will short out the computer board, power supply board and other electronics located in the bottom of the CW. Plus you will have a huge fire hazard if the metal shaving get to the right places.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Maria, First do a search for mant. or starting up and also due your upgrades, also as far as metal I wound not try and do metals, the stress of metal on some of the nylon gears may be very distructive, not worth wrecking a $1,500.00 or more CarveWright. Good Luck. Capt Barry