Thread: Removing Quickchange adaptors

Default Removing Quickchange adaptors

I know this is (very) late in the game to most people... but I have my 11 piece decorative bit set I got with the original purchase of my B machine. And I need to remove the adaptors to use the 60 degree (and maybe 90 degree) v groove bits with some centerline text.

I tried using a T-10 (I think) bit in a screwdriver to unscrew one or both of the side set screws. They weren't budging. I came here and did some searches, and reminded myself of the solution to bake them for a bit, then try again. I first tried 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Not any help. I then tried 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Again, they were still locked tight.

Are there any other things I can try to help remove these screws? Hard to find any advice since all the chatter about it is so old now.
    - Ken
    Later model "B" Machine with CarveTight and Rubber belt upgrades
    RNB Model "A" Dust Collection, Scanning Probe, Rotary Jig
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline

Quote Originally Posted by karossii View Post
    I know this is (very) late in the game to most people... but I have my 11 piece decorative bit set I got with the original purchase of my B machine. And I need to remove the adaptors to use the 60 degree (and maybe 90 degree) v groove bits with some centerline text.

I tried using a T-10 (I think) bit in a screwdriver to unscrew one or both of the side set screws. They weren't budging. I came here and did some searches, and reminded myself of the solution to bake them for a bit, then try again. I first tried 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Not any help. I then tried 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Again, they were still locked tight.

Are there any other things I can try to help remove these screws? Hard to find any advice since all the chatter about it is so old now.
    I used a set of brake pliers. Some were easy and some were a bear. Some you just need a good bit of leverage.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

I used a plumbers torch to heat mine up in a shop vise. Some of the heads in the set screws stripped out so I had to use some small vise grip pliers to remove them.

If you have a drill press you can press the bits out after heating. I cut the head off a small screw/bolt that was just a tad smaller than the 1/4" bit shank. Put it in the drill chuck and place the CW bit in the center hole of the drill press plate. MAKE SURE YOU PUT SEVERAL SMALL RAGS UNDER THE BIT to catch them as they drop out of the adapter.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I don't have brake pliers, so that option is out. I also don't have a small torch, so the oven is my only real option for heating it. Or a grill, I suppose...

I could pull it out of the oven and put it in my drill press... will it not harm the shank to just push it out past the set screws?
    - Ken
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline

You will need to remove the set screws. Got some vise grips? https://www.google.com/search?q=vise...w=1093&bih=519
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I do, several sets of vice grips... not sure if I have any small enough for that though. Will have to dig through them all and see.
    - Ken