Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Rotary Jig patterns and MPCs

Bergerud, here is a section describing the maps.
    A displacement map is real geometry (polygons), while a bump map is tricks of light to make it look like it has real geometry. Normal maps are like bump maps, as in the way they both trick the light, but normal maps actually change the surfaces normals and bend the light. Bump map renders faster but you do lose quality. Normal maps are used more in low poly games. Displacement maps, because of their longer render time, are mostly used on objects that need high level detail.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

I am not so sure these unwrapping operations are the right transformations. They seem to be just laying out the polygons to apply a texture to. The polygons themselves do not seem to change size. There are disconnections in some examples I have seen. There needs to be an axle and a diameter relative to which the scaling is done. If you can make these maps without that information, then I cannot imagine that it can be the right transformation. I am going to have to do some more research on this. Thanks for the links.

Correct the uv maps are used for texture but also normal maps and displacement maps. In regards to the diameter...thats were the tweaking and laying out of the uvs come in...for example the demo head I was playing with...I transformed the model into a more cylindrical type shape and then played around for a bit placing the seam up the Y axis to unwrapp in a cylindrical typed map...then more tweaking with the map to size. The key is going to be in laying out the uv's...zbrush not going to the best at this...this I plan on using modo for...more control over layout...there are also some programs fo like 50 bucks out there that layout the uvs..but blender is the best bet....hope this makes sense somewhat as I am fairly new to UV mapping.Other issue with zbrush is there is no method for sizing...organic modelor need to play around with more precise unit sizs .

LG could chime in...I am sure he knows this cold
    Last edited by jpaluck; 01-30-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789