Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Jig patterns and MPCs

Thank, Steve. Real nice job. Capt Barry

Have you guys seen fire pistons? They are an old fire starting device which would make an excellent project for the rotary jig. Do a Google search on "fire piston" and look at all of the images. The idea could easily be built into a knife handle or cane or ??.

Thanks for the MPC

In reference to #2 post here by Ed, you show the liberty.mpc file....I was looking at it but couldn't figure out what the area was all about shown in my picture here....I point out 4 spots that just doesn't make any sence to me, but then again I've never seen the statue of Liberty in person. Please see picture here...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails liberty.png  
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Jerry, that pattern came from an STL file (from archibaseplanet.com) that I had a friend "Unwrap". Since I didn't make the stl, I have no idea what the maker had in mind. I too have never actually seen the Statue of Liberty, except in pictures.

Ed
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Ok, well now I've got a question, I really don't know much about STL files, and very little about our own designer program but would it be possible to fix this drawing? From what I see it looks like it would carve a recess or hole in the back of this. I'm about to ask someone to carve this for me but I don't want that spot to be there. How would you go about fix'n this? And if it's not possible thats ok too.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

What drawing?
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Here is a .png that can be edited. You are right, it did carve a recess there.

Ed

I also attached the MPW in a zip. Anyone with pattern editor should be able to edit this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Liberty.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by edzbaker; 11-13-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Added MPW
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

That will be something I can play around with, I'm not much into that nor do I have the rotary jig yet but I do like that idea of the statue of liberty being on like a cane or candle holder. Thanks Ed
    CarverJerry

I have been playing around with the patterns for the rotary jig some, and figuring out how to unwrapp a 3d pattern. What I will show here is a very simple chess set, all but the knight was done using loft and profiles in MoI3d, the knight has taken more thought, along with UV mapping, displacement maps to get to this point. None of these are finished by no means. I would need to place tabs on the top and bottom to prevent them from coming off the jig (or breaking off while carving). But it is a start and I believe with more work and thought/ experience in UV mapping. I may be able to make some nice patterns for the jig.

Ok here is the patterns unwrapped. Next post will be a 3d image of each pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bishop-w.JPG   king-w.jpg   knight-w.jpg   pawn-w.jpg  

queen-w.jpg   rook-w.jpg  
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast