Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotary Jig patterns and MPCs

Steve, I didn't set the Max cut depth. I should have. The large diameter (3/4") bit digging in so deep is exactly what caused the slip. Tomorrow evening, if I get some time, I might give that one another try.
    I'm certain the spiral Hollow will carve using raster carve. I want to try that too... That is what the jig was designed to do. But I agree that if it would do the vector carves, that would be another "tool in the box" so to speak. I see no reason why it wouldn't, if I had changed the Max depth like you suggest.

Thanks...

Ed

The weather is cooling off,, so I guess if some more firewood is in order, It might as well be pretty firewood.
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Well, this is Exciting STUFF.... I can see where without a Top Notch Dust Hood like the Ringneck version I am VERY Happy with... You could get slipping between the round blank and the board driver.... I still see there a Rack and Pinion version of this Jig with different color and size round gears that lock into the driver board.... It will take the possible slip out of the picture... The Masking Tape idea on "Roids" I could even SEE a flat notched belt reversed with the Teeth pointing UP engaging in a Rubber Belt teeth DOWN on the driver board.... Not that we would expect there to be any slip on the Sand Paper Belts of the Driver Board... Lots of IDEAS.... Remembering it is nice to dream but this is a fully functional unit.... and a Outstanding Jig....

I was SO excited about this Jig that I called our old CW Buddy ChrisAlb. He was on the Road Trucking 150 miles from his stop for the night in MONTANA... What a life Traveling around the country.... The Scenery He has Seen..... He was excited about the Jig too... and said to say "HI". He is doing WELL.

Me TOO.... Got a nibble on a very big Fire Tag order... Biggest ever..... 750 Plus.... The Bobber is moving around like a Catfish Nibbling on it.... And here is AL again tooting his own horn with pictures...

Was under the weather for the weekend Fire Show and took a Display there for the Door Prize.... 2 of them... Then drove home and went to bed... That is where this tip came from... I am crossing my fingers.... So every person saw the display twice.... Pretty Slick... Gave away a License Plate and a Hitch Cover...

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 09-27-2011 at 09:02 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Could you look at the MPC's and draw a wrapped model so we could look at it? Just thinking..
    At this point I asked LHR Software to save out a merged copy of the project board as a STL and Raster PNG, without this ability it will be hard to twist your projects.

Ok Steve. Here it is. I didn't have a decent sharp 60d bit, so I decided that if this test was to see if the Rotary Jig could repeat Vector lines and follow them correctly, the 1/16 carving bit would tell for sure. So, that is what I used. Each pass was repeated three times, with each cut being deeper than the last. Thracking was dead on, as you can see. But I still say that it wasn't made with this use in mind, even though it worked.

Oh ... and the vectors did overlap on the piece, so it would take some testing to see EXACTLY what size a vector pattern would need to be.

Thanks Much

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P9280091.jpg  
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Looks good Ed.

Remember, Complex vectors were not easy until the DXF importer came out. It would not be wrong to use vectors on flat or now round stock, thanks to you! I think that you designed it to vectors and just didn't realize it..
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Default Drill Guide Jig

A jig to help you find and drill the exact center of a round piece. The dimensions can be changed to suit the need. One is for a 2" dowel, with a guide hole of 1/4" and the other is for a 2" dowel with a guide hole of 3/4 inch. Just put the dowel end in the carved area, and drill through the guide hole. This one is handy when making a cane with the rotary jig.

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drill Jig.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thank You....

I guess I am going to have to get one of these things. Just when I thought I had all the stuff I needed. Oh Well.
    I had thought of putting a 4th axis on my other machine, but this will be a lot easier.

Meanwhile, here is a project I worked up. Maybe someone would like to run it to see if we are heading the right direction. It may make a reasonably ok set of candle sticks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails candle stick.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mwhatch; 09-29-2011 at 09:00 PM.
    Morton

Thanks, for the mpc's, Gentlemen. Capt Barry

mwhatch, I believe that pattern would cut perfectly ! You are definately on the right track ..

I'm thinking that a Tiered (?Spelling) candy dish would look nice. With dished carvings stacked, with some round carvings for center supports. A Larger dish then smaller dish then smaller dish ...etc.. Shaped kinda like a christmas tree.
    Hopefully someone can translate this into english... Ha..

Thanks

Ed
    Thank You....

I had to wait for the money coffers to refill. I'm going to order one now. Talk to you later. Capt Barry

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast