Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotary Jig patterns and MPCs

Yes Bud, That cane was cut on the CW. If you put a rope on your designer board. The Rotary Jig will wrap it around the piece you are carving.

If designer had a Wrap feature, to allow you to see the final product before carving, that would be nice ! Design on a flat board, then select WRAP. Ahhhh that would be so nice....

Ed
    Last edited by edzbaker; 09-27-2011 at 01:30 PM.
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Bud,
    I looked at this. It looks like a relief carving and not a router bit profile that did this. Router bit profiles are much faster but reduce carving flexibility. I will provide a link to some videos or upload a picture of what I mean in a little bit. I have to run right now and meet the wife.
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

OK.. Look at these videos and you will see how router bit profiles work.

Now, some of this can be done on the CW, thanks to the 4th axis jig, with some thought. Use angle lines, length based on number of wraps calculations and shapes based on Router bits. Any ideas out there??

Added: Higher cost CNC capabilities on the CarveWright.. Nice Ed..
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Steve, I think some of the same DESIGNS are Very possible, but keep in mind that the Carvewright head is moving Lengthwise with the Round stock, and the When Carving, rotary jig indexes in very small increments the same as carving on a flat board, unless you set it up with Vectors, then it rotates the same asa flat piece carving vectors. , but still moving lengthwise. (The video shows a different movment with the Legacy) Someone like you will be able to make it do things that I haven't even thought of.

Thanks..
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Ed,
    Vectors ARE THE KEY to using router bit profiles. Also using the right bits. Advantage is speed of the cuts. An example of this would be simple flutes using a simple 1/2 inch bull nose bit. Multiple straight line vectors that are equally spaced on the part. The equal spacing would be indexing on the part, length and depth of cut would make the flutes. Applying these same principles but changing the straight lines to angles would generate the spiral cuts. The problem with the jig and spiral cuts, as I see it (using vectors), would be the maximum length of the board measurement. This would dictate how many full rotations could be made. Raster cutting, which is the CW's native carving mode, spirals are no problem. They just take a bit more time.

I am not trying to take anything away from your jig. Quite the opposite, I am seeing many things (out of the box) that can be accomplished with it!

Now, I just have to buy one and try my theories out..
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools

Here is a quick sample MPC that I put together. It uses 3 different bits and only vectors. With three bits I have created lathe like turnings, flutes and a diamond pattern. Try it Ed and see if it works. I am not sure about all the measurements but it should be close. Then again, I haven't tried it on your jig yet nor do I have hands on knowledge yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VectorTest.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	47582

VectorTest.mpc
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools

Here is another test using the Ogee and 90 Degree V-Bit with all vectors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VectorTest-2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	47585

VectorTest-2.mpc

This one uses the same vector (line) for the Lathe like turnings at the top and bottom but also adds a DXF image from the DXF importer for the flag. Let us know how it works out.
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools

LG or MT,
    Could you look at the MPC's and draw a wrapped model so we could look at it? Just thinking.. All I have is VCarve Pro 6.
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools

Steve, I don't have the Bit set, so I changed the bit in the test to a 90d V-bit 3/4"wide. The feed rate and the depth of carve caused lots of vibrations, and caused the round stock to slip.
    The instruction booklet for the Rotary Jig does state to "always use OPTIMAL setting to keep the bit from digging in".

I'm guessing now that Vector cuts might not work so good, unless the feed rate was SLOW, bits Sharp, and cuts much Shallower than the test I ran.

The picture shows how it didn't keep track with the vectors.

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P9270085.jpg  
    Thank You....

Ed,
    With the bit change did you set to cut 0.1" Max cut per depth? If you tried to have them cut more than that it would cause that to happen. In the bit selection dialog set the Max Pass Depth to 0.1" or even less to relieve the pressure. It looks like you tried to cut too much off at once as is visible by the burning.

Edit:
    Also, change to a 60 Degree V-Bit. It looks like 90 Degree was too much of an angle.

More firewood huh..
    Last edited by SteveEJ; 09-27-2011 at 07:39 PM.
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast