Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotary Jig patterns and MPCs

Default Rotary Jig patterns and MPCs

I will start by posting the LionHead Candle stick holders pattern, for the Rotary jig. I know they are posted elsewhere, but they belong here.

Thanks

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CandleStick1.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Here is a Liberty Pattern that I carved a cane with. The picture is of the cane.

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P9260083.jpg   P9260084.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Ed, can you explain how this is made, well what I mean how many times is this indexed to complete the pattern. Since the CW is only a 3 axis machine I take it that this jig must be indexed manually. I'l love to try something like this myself.

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post
    Ed, can you explain how this is made, well what I mean how many times is this indexed to complete the pattern. Since the CW is only a 3 axis machine I take it that this jig must be indexed manually. I'l love to try something like this myself.

CJ
    I think it is the pattern that is "extended", not the rotary jig.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Jerry, The Carvewright machine does "INDEX" the round stock, using my Rotary Jig. Techhnically speaking, it is a 4th axis that will carve 12 inches of a 2" X 14" Dowel.

I know it's hard to grasp, but, No Longer is the Carvewright Machine limited to 3 axis carving.

"How many times is this indexed to complete a pattern ?" answer, The same number of times that it would index if it were carving on a flat surface of the same dimensions. (More than I can count)

Ed
    Thank You....

Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post

CJ
    Hi CJ,

The neat thing about Ed's Rotary Jig is it does "everything" automatically (well, you do have to put the jig into the machine). Indexing concerns are really a non-issue...the machine "thinks" you are carving on a flat board! So, the same number of incremental steps (i.e., the stepover) it takes on a flat board, are identical to carving on the round dowel stock with the jig.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 09-27-2011 at 09:59 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

OK.. Here is a concept that 'Should' work with the jig.

(I am taking this from projects made with my Legacy mill.)

1- Get two boards that are a true 1" thick X slightly over 2" wide and long enough for the jig minus 2".
    2- Rout a 1" channel lengthwise down the middle of the 1"X2" board 1/2" deep. The goal is a hollow 1" round opening down the length of the stock as if a drill bit drilled out the stock. After gluing, round the stock to 2" (or slightly less) by your choice of tools.
    3- Here's the tricky part: Make two 2" diameter holders that conform with the top and bottom ends of the 'Stock' that goes into the Jig. On one side of each 'Holder' have a 1" diameter protrusion that will go into the glued up stock to hold it steady. Place a small donut shaped piece of two sided tape to hold each end in place.
    4 - Place in jig.
    5 - Design a MPC that cuts slightly more than 1/2" deep. The goal is a nice design outside leading to a hollow middle. (See attached picture). This hollow spiral could be hollow grapevines, etc.
    6- carve the stock.
    7- remove from the jig and remove the 'End' holders and finish as desired. The ends can be re-used for future projects.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HollowCandleSticks.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	47568

Remember, this is only a idea and I have no hands on with the jig. Let me know what you think as this could lead to several out of the box ideas with this new device.
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Steve, it sounds like it will work. I will test it and post pic's and mpc as soon as I can. (Dang this day job is taking up way too much of my play time)

Ed
    Thank You....

Another concept, which would require LHR software support:

Router bit profiles.. Rope, Barley twists, etc.

Set a rotation speed, start point, end point, max depth per pass and Y feed speed.

This would be akin to Vector Graphics on round stock using router bit profiles as the final shape. This would allow fast milling of stock. The hollow candle sticks on my previous post were done that way.

Just another idea.. What ya think LHR?
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Quote Originally Posted by SteveEJ View Post
    Another concept, which would require LHR software support:

Router bit profiles.. Rope, Barley twists, etc.

Set a rotation speed, start point, end point, max depth per pass and Y feed speed.

This would be akin to Vector Graphics on round stock using router bit profiles as the final shape. This would allow fast milling of stock. The hollow candle sticks on my previous post were done that way.

Just another idea.. What ya think LHR?
    Looking at Ed's site, he may have accomplished some of that prior the his offer (If this cane was accomplished on the CW). http://customcarved.web.officelive.c...eRopeCane.aspx
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast