Thread: Using Centerline to carve a .png?

1. Default Using Centerline to carve a .png?

I'm not sure if I'm putting this right but I have a .png that I want to carve with Centerline. I guess I need to turn it in to a font? If so, that is where I am lost. I have read the tips and tricks on dingbats and tried using a font editor called fontographer 5, I'm using a Mac and the software recommended in the t & t is not compatible with Macs, I cannot figure out how to turn this picture in to a font. If any of you guys can explain how this is done or turn it in to a font for me I would really appreciate it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oregon_Ducks.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	47550
    Last edited by natebrown510; 09-26-2011 at 08:16 PM.
    Nate

I'm not sure this is what you wanted, but I converted it to DXF format and then set the MPC to carve with 90d v-bit.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

3. Default

Thank you for the response. That's pretty close to what I was looking for, I want the inside of the letters cut out, if that's possible. I attached a pic of what I'm looking for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	47560
    Nate

Nate,

I use TypeTool 3 and Scan Font 5, both made by FontLab.com and both run on the MAC OS. The two pieces of software give you everything you need to accurately turn just about any properly edited png image into a font glyph that you can then import for engraving as a v-carve. It avoids the drawbacks of the DXF plug-in, namely not being able to accurately represent flourishes present because you have to manually assign depth profiles.

It will set you back $198 for both pieces of software but if you are primarily looking to engrave vector artwork, it's a better investment than the DXF plug-in, IMO.
    John

5. Default

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at those.
    Nate

This is basically what you would get by importing the PNG image into a font file by using typetool/scanfont. It's not exactly the same as what you posted but I think this is what you were looking for?Attachment 47607
    John

7. Default

So place a circle carve region over the center of the "O" and it will do that.