Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The cat is out of the bag.. Round Carvings are possible with the Carvewright.

a while back I was making some EXACT sized dowels for some wooden screws and made this carrier for my trim router. It worked like a charm, though it felt like cheating. You use it with the lathe turned off to begin with (and the router on) and then when you get close to the exact size you turn on the lathe and router and it leaves a very clean surface. I'll have to make a slightly bigger one to cut 14 inch long pieces (I designed this one for 12 inch dowels) but the concept is the same.

Hope this helps,
    Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    a while back I was making some EXACT sized dowels for some wooden screws and made this carrier for my trim router. It worked like a charm, though it felt like cheating. You use it with the lathe turned off to begin with (and the router on) and then when you get close to the exact size you turn on the lathe and router and it leaves a very clean surface. I'll have to make a slightly bigger one to cut 14 inch long pieces (I designed this one for 12 inch dowels) but the concept is the same.

Hope this helps,
    Lawrence
    I'll bet the some will beat a path to your door, for those basic plans!
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

This is truely a remarkable device, and yet so simple. You just can't really appreciate what it does until you are watching it work.
    There is so much potential here that it is almost overwhelming. At least for me anyway.

Here is my first carve using a chinese dragon model.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0184.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	48024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0185.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	48025
    Morton

Great job Morton. That is an AWESOME FIRST CARVE!

Wow Morton! That is incredible! I definitely want to add this to my toolbox someday.
    Doug Fletcher

Morton, That is a beautiful carve ! Thank You for sharing the pictures.

Lawrence, Your lathe setup puts mine to shame. I made a frame over my lathe from 1" pipe, Added a cuting head to that, which will slide from end to end (on the 1" pipe) of the 36" bed. The cuting head is height adjustable, and is pulled from one end to the other by a chain running on a reduction gear. The cuting head is actually a motor assy from an old cheap (General machinery) table saw.
    Compaired to your's "Mine is UGLY" but it works, and was made from junk I had lieing around the shop.

Ed
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

What about larger or smaller dowels , as for pen makers or larger 4"?
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Daniel, I can make wooden dowels of most any size. Technically up to about 8 1/2" X 36" . But as you probably already know, smaller diameter dowels can't be real Long, if you are turning them on a lathe. And, the price per foot, of dowels over 2" in diameter is un-believable. I have made many 3 1/2 inch dowels for my own use. I have a small Home Made bandsaw mill, and that gives me an edge when it comes to wood.
    (Yes the Home Made Bandsaw Mill is UGLY too.. Ha....)

Ed Baker
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Sorry Ed , I was referring to the CW accessory you sell. Will it only accept 2" dowels, or will we be able to carve on something as small as a pen, or as large as say a 4" dowel someday?
    thanks Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Dan, I mis understood the question, sorry. The Rotary Jig that Carvewright is offering will only accept 2" diameter round stock. However, I have no objection to "Assisting" any Rotary Jig owner in making adapters for his jig, so that it can cut up to 3 1/2" round stock. I haven't carved on anything less than 1 1/4" with a rotary jig. I think smaller diameter stock might flex during carving.
    SO, any owners of my Rotary Jigs that want to carve Larger stock, and want me to assist in making it happen, Just let me know. I will put together some instructions for you.

Thanks

Ed Baker
    Last edited by edzbaker; 10-16-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    Thank You....

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast