Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: The cat is out of the bag.. Round Carvings are possible with the Carvewright.

Indianapolis, Indiana, United States, 110419212320033, Indianapolis, Indiana

Hi

I just ordered my jig and have been doing a lot reading here. I have read alot of talk about using a lathe to make the blank that will be used on it and was wondering if anyone has tryed using a router and a round over bit to make them?
    Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the least.

Check out my Blog Wayne's Wood Working Shop at
    http://wwwshop-wwwshop.blogspot.com/

Here's a link I posted about turning a cylinder with a router and a jig
    http://youtu.be/TUA3lryix64
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Ok, here is an idea I want to share and get some input on. After telling a friend of mine all about Ed's jig he asked me a question and I couldn't answer it. After telling him about the statue of Liberty and it could be carved ROUND, he asked what if I were to carve it out of clear acrylic and put a light source at the botom of it to shine it up thru the plastic. I know it would have to be cast acrylic and I'm thinking it would have to be polished back to clear, but what do you guys think of this idea? Possible maybe?
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Possible YES. But as you know carving to deep into acrylic can put a stress on the machine. Also the ends of the round might need a wrap of tape for better traction.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Interesting concept..... But I don't think you could get enough depth to make it work.... Too much lost detail....

You could make VECTOR Line Art and draw it in flat Acrylic and light it with LED's.....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I think it would , I used to do some glass etching with a chemical etch and that didn't etch that deep. It was like just scuffing the area.
    The glass was only a 1/4" thick and lighted from below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mother.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	553.6 KB 
ID:	49732

Quote Originally Posted by wgrigsby View Post
    Hi

I just ordered my jig and have been doing a lot reading here. I have read alot of talk about using a lathe to make the blank that will be used on it and was wondering if anyone has tryed using a router and a round over bit to make them?
    Not a router, but I make 2" dowel (1 1/4" & 1 1/2" too) with a shaper. 2 passes leaving a few inches square at the ends as reference. Bullnose cutter http://www.toolstoday.com/p-5445-bul...r-cutters.aspx
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

It can be done there's a simple box jig that can be made, I posted a link to a Youtube video of it somewhere on the jig forum.

Jerry, Take a look at the "Liberty Cane" on my site (Link Below) and you can get an idea of the detail possible with the Liberty pattern and the Rotary Jig.

thanks

Ed
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

I see what you are saying. I couldn't see but I take it you must have fixed the drawing where on the back side somewhere (in designer t was on the ends) there was something I pointed out to you that didn't look right a while back and I thought it was going to carve deep pockets. Did someone repost that fixed file yet?
    This was just an idea and wanted to pass it along.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627