Thread: Photographing lithopane help

Default Photographing lithopane help

I'm having no problem producing the picture in acrylic, and the box and lighting is a snap, but when it comes to taking pictures for use in advertising for sale, i am at a loss, the image either fades out or the room lighting washes out the led back light. Does anyone out there have any tips or tricks when it comes to photographing these beautiful works of art, I really want the picture detail and beauty of the lithphane to come out in my work when i post pictures.

Stephen

Have you tried with out any flash and then enhance in a photo editor?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

3. Default

In my experience the best way to photograph a lithopane is to back up a little, about 15 feet away and zoom in. I take litho pics in almost complete darkness.
    Last edited by LittleRedWoodshop; 09-19-2011 at 11:53 PM.

4. Default

5. Default

My hint-- take LOTS of pics in different lighting with lots of different angles-- you'll nail it eventually. IMHO there's no need to skimp on your variations as digital photos cost you nothing

Lawrence

7. Default

great advice Lawrence ... there is that too - digital photos are free

One way I've done it is to take a good picture of the litho that is lite up nicely, but then you see that you can't see the frame, so take another picture of the frame, now the litho is washed out, take the two and use either paint shop pro or adobe photo shop and using the good picture of the frame cut the litho part out and paste in the good litho picture. It takes a little practice and a tripod with the camera really helps make things easier.
    Here is a picture of my first one NOT using a tripod, you can see a little white around the picture but you get the idea.

CJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shannens Lithopane.jpg  
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

It partially depends on what type camera you are using. You really need a DSLR to get capture it because lithopanes confuse point and shoot cameras when it is determining the proper exposure. If you don't have a DSLR, I would ask around to see if there is a hobbyist photographer looking to go pro. Even if you have to pay a little bit of money product photography goes a long way in sales.

Here are two photos from the last one I did. On my camera there is a section worded SCN. In that section are a lot of options one of them being FLOWERS. I use that one because no flash will be used and it will focus on close up shots. Anyway, that one works for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 303 Project.JPG   303 Project (2).JPG